CAELinux 2010?

More
13 years 10 months ago #4242 by J S
Replied by J S on topic Re:CAELinux 2010?
some impatience here too : )

... We could upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS Ubuntu and at least take care of the OS (sometimes this works ok, sometimes surprises).

I see Salome-Meca is 2010.1 release now.
And Code_Aster has moved ahead significantly to 10.1 release.

Another alternative .. is there a .deb package for each S-M and C_A?
Or I've been lately running CAELinux inside of VirtualBox for smaller studies .. so a .vdi image would be interesting for a snack too ; )

All this interest because each release we've all seen has improved a lot over prior quite good releases.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4243 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:CAELinux 2010?
Perhaps a better way to go about this, would be to open up a wiki page for the different applications and what tricks it takes to install them on a given distribution. Many of the CAELinux applications are readily available in the package-manager, but some have to be installed manually.

I don't think it's a good idea to rely on a new version of CAELinux right now, since Joël Cugnoni seems to be wrapped up in that there pesky real life at the moment.

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

• Peter Halverson
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #4244 by Peter Halverson
Replied by Peter Halverson on topic Re:CAELinux 2010?

I don't think it's a good idea to rely on a new version of CAELinux right now, since Joël Cugnoni seems to be wrapped up in that there pesky real life

Thanks that's what I was wanting to know. I think a wiki would be a wonderful idea. I've been trying to compile an intel, mpi, version of aster and mumps for about a year now. However, life keeps happening and I keep pushing it to the back burner. It looks like I'll be diving into the mumps documentation again in a couple of weeks.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4245 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:CAELinux 2010?
Hi,

sorry for the lack of response from my side... as Claus said, my "free" time (=the time dedicated to building CAElinux) was getting close to nothing in the last year. I was also waiting for the new salome meca package and Ubuntu lucid before starting the serious work... but now the 'production' is really started: i am trying to integrate Code Saturne and its CFDStudy module into Salome-Meca to get a fully integrated FE/CFD solution!

It will probably take me at least one month from now to finish but I also agree with Claus: it is always very usefull to have documents describing how to compile a code on a given platform. it is usefull for me to develop CAELinux but more important it is usefull to everybody that want to install their own version!!

I will also try to post some intermediate beta versions if I can, so yo can try if it will work on you machine and maybe report some bugs before release.

I have also tested the upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 and overall it worked very well (just one glitch with flahsplugin). This upgrade leaves most of the CAE software untouched and most of them will continue working properly (I have tested Salome Meca and Aster, OpenFOAM, itksnap, ...) but Code Saturne will probably be broken (it needs older versions of gfortran libs). Overall, it is not a bad option to upgrade, and if you reinstall Remastersys, you can even remaster an updated liveDVD...

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

More
13 years 10 months ago #4246 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:CAELinux 2010?
ps:

I have a Code Aster version compiled with ACML and MPI for Mumps and Petsc... but it is quite difficult to integrate it with salome meca because of the different versions of python, so I may leave it as a second aster install in parallel of the EDF version included in Salome Meca. It will add some 200mb to the iso image... what do you think about it??

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

• Peter Halverson
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #4247 by Peter Halverson
Replied by Peter Halverson on topic Re:CAELinux 2010?
Administrator wrote:

ps:

I have a Code Aster version compiled with ACML and MPI for Mumps and Petsc... but it is quite difficult to integrate it with salome meca because of the different versions of python, so I may leave it as a second aster install in parallel of the EDF version included in Salome Meca. It will add some 200mb to the iso image... what do you think about it??

That would be wonderful. I would love to know the steps you took to compile it. Setting up the config files in my opinion is the most difficult part

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds