CAELinux 2012 Build

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 1 month ago #6699 by Rudy Patard
Replied by Rudy Patard on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
Hi,

I'll try an openSuse distribution as suggested by Richke. I'll just take some time to clean and do back-ups.
Even-though I've seen OpenCascade, code Aster and other parts of CAE component in "openSuse build service" under science project, I'm not sure I'll stay under openSuse if it's a puzzle game. As I'd like to convert people to linux distribution, I want simple one. (I like simple things too)

I'll post again when trials are done.

So here the test comes :

From CAE linux on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS I downloaded several images and made usb key bootable with Startup Disk Creator:

1°) OpenSUSE-12.2-KDE Livex86_64: no way to make a start-up disk (using "Startup Disk Creator")
I need to try different start-disk application and other OpenSuse image.

2°) kubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64 ; xubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64 : same result as simply upgrading Ubuntu up to 12.
Quite logical as it's the same basis.
Desktop is indeed more appealing to me than unity.

But as for all 12 version, no more Wifi.
As it seems from forum that drivers are now under software source, I try and go for it. I was on xubuntu-12.10) Surprise when I try software and package manager, Impossible to do anything, even manage software sources ....

"E:Malformed line 58 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)"
Software source : /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk
=> Crash
And of course, unable to "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"
I'm quite stuck
Sniff ;-(

I tell myself, hey It's not the stable version, lets try the .04 LTS.
After an old school looking installation, I got myself face to ... a terminal (quite fun to try and remember Unix course I got in my syllabus, but I'm more of a mechanical engineer, so Fun but quite limited)

Best lead.
When doing a migration from Ubuntu 10 to X - K- Ubuntu (I suppose L- as well), you can keep all CAE softwares, but the issue for Salome remain.
When I'll find the solution for bugs in 12.04LTS version, I'll probably do a migration toward some desktop worker-friendly.

BR
Rudy
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Rudy Patard. Reason: new tests

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #6741 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
Hi everyone,

I've managed to get most of the packages working very well on Xubuntu 12.04.

If I can help with anything please let me know. Personally I think that if we can move to a more centralized development structure and market the distribution a bit more, it would be of great benefit to all. Moving to Debian may not be a bad idea but think it may end up being more effort than it's worth considering many of the packages already cater for Ubuntu integration.

From here on in I'll be looking into making some gui interfaces to streamline general workflows as well as integrating and developing plugins for FreeCAD in the future.

I look forward to working with all of you :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan

More
11 years 1 month ago #6742 by Jose Rey
Replied by Jose Rey on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
Hi there, if CAELinux-2013 occurs, can it include the following:
1. Helyx-OS (frontend for Openfoam and SnappyHexMesh).
2. OpenFoam 2.2.0

I love FreeCAD, and I applaud any effort that brings it closer to the user and integrated into other CAE tools.

Thanks,

Jose

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #6758 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
That would be wonderful if CAE Linux would be updated to a more recent Ubuntu Version.

Perhaps we should think about using a development platform like GitHub or Google code,
that everyone could contribute and changes are more transparent.

PS: Ever considered using The Fedora Scientific spin? spins.fedoraproject.org/scientific-kde/

It carries much more up to date packages for scientific computing.
The only drawback would be, that Fedora has no LTS Versions.
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Stefan.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #6759 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build

FrankL wrote: Hi everyone,

I've managed to get most of the packages working very well on Xubuntu 12.04.

If I can help with anything please let me know. Personally I think that if we can move to a more centralized development structure and market the distribution a bit more, it would be of great benefit to all. Moving to Debian may not be a bad idea but think it may end up being more effort than it's worth considering many of the packages already cater for Ubuntu integration.

From here on in I'll be looking into making some gui interfaces to streamline general workflows as well as integrating and developing plugins for FreeCAD in the future.

I look forward to working with all of you :)

That would be wonderful if CAE Linux would be updated to a more recent Ubuntu Version.

Perhaps we should think about using a development platform like GitHub or Google code,
that everyone could contribute and changes are more transparent.

I personally think it would be much better to provide the CAE linux tools in an repository for some distro (may it ubuntu fedora or whatever)
and then additionally provide live disks. Thus much more people could use the packages without reinstall the whole os. So much more people
would use and test the packages.

PS: Ever considered using The Fedora Scientific spin? spins.fedoraproject.org/scientific-kde/

It carries much more up to date packages for scientific computing.
The only drawback would be, that Fedora has no LTS Versions.
But one could come by this by simply providing the packages in an inofficial repo or make an inofficial spin

Another Idea would be Gentoo linux. It's true that Gentoo is not that easy to handle, than e.g. Ubuntu
but packaging in Gentoo is very easy, and it is easier to hold the distro up to date since there are no versions
because Gentoo is always a rolling release distro.
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Stefan.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #6762 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
Hello everybody,

I am really sorry but I had to put all my CAELinux activities on hold for quite a while and was even unable to answer to all the mail requests that I have received.

However, after those bad news, the good news: I am restarting the development of CAELinux release 2013 now ;-)
My goal is not only to develop a new release but also to move from a centralized development (=me) to a more community driven development.
The development steps are as follows (my current plan, it may change a bit depending on the problems encountered):
1) developing a small set of tools to simplify package construction and writing a short manual. Actually, I have looked in the details on how to create debian packages in the official way... to me it looks really difficult and would require too much time for complex programs. So the idea is to manually (or automatically) compile the binaries in /opt as I always did for previous releases and then to package these binaries with information about dependencies in a deb file. These small tools will do just that. By the way, it is the method used to package OpenFOAM for example, so nothing really new here.
2) write , test & use automatic or semi-automatic compilation scripts for the main codes used in CAELinux. I already have a fully automated script for Elmer and I am working on a script for Aster with MPI+PETSC+OpenBLAS. As soon as these scripts will be finalized, I will publish them so everybody can use it.
3) use the scripts from 1) and 2) to build binary deb packages and release them for testing
4) setup a package repository for stable and testing (will be used to upgrade packages)
5) use the packages to build a full blown distribution and distribute the ISO image.

For the moment, I am mostly working on points 1) and 2).
If you want to contribute in the mean time, you can :
- either provide compilation scripts for some of the custom compiled codes used in CAELinux like Code Aster 11.3 with OpenMPI + PETSC, latest Code Saturne with OpenMPI and ParMetis/Scotch and Syrthes, latest Calculix if possible with MPI support, OpenFOAM 1.6-ext.
- or point me to recent DEB packages of these codes.

The next question is the development platform. Initially, I thought to use Launchpad, but unfortunatelly it seems to be not so flexible and could not host "binary only" packages (right?). We need at least one platform to host the build scripts, this could be any versioning tool, like github, google code etc.. but for package deployment, we would ideally need a traditionnal package repository that can sustain about 1Tb of transfer per month. So if you have suggestions, for those two platforms (code hosting and packages) I am open to suggestions.

The base development platform remains Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 (Xubuntu or any other version should be fine for packaging).
The goal is that CAELinux 2013 will be the last release that I develop mostly myself, and that the next releases will be much easier to develop and update! However, these changes in the way the distribution is built will take me a lot of time, so don't expect a release any time soon.

Let me know what you think about it. And all my apologies if I did not / do not answer to emails... my time is too limited at the moment so I have to focus on the bare essential: developing the new release...

Cheers

Joel Cugnon (aka admin)

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Danilo M.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds