CAELinux 2012 Build

More
11 years 4 months ago #6592 by lelorrain
Replied by lelorrain on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
Hi, I'm new on this forum. I just would like to express my hope to see a soon release of CAELinux distribution. It would be sooo helpful for me.

This distribution is just amazing, I like this !

Concerning engineering software, Datamining software like orange canvas are interesting too in an engineering package like this one. But my priority is essentially to have the last release of SALOME MECA. The version installed in the actual CAE linux is 10.5 (when you use salome) and it's not enough anymore :)

hope to see a release soon :)

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #6596 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
@ Yoh: Thanks for the suggestion. If I manage to build proper packages, I will try to contribute directly to Debian Science.

Now an important question to all of you:

After a lot of testing of the different desktops available on Ubuntu 12.04, I think that the best environment for CAE and scientific work (a lot of windows, different workspace, need resources...) is actually XFCE 4 because it is lightweight, close to the Gnome 2 in terms of ergonomy and very fast when switching between windows and workspaces. Moreover, the fact that it does not use 3D acceleration improves the batery life significantly on laptops and also limits graphical problems with some applications. Last advantage is that it will free some space for more apps on the DVD...

So, as I am starting just now to build the new CAELinux, my proposition would be to base the new release on Xubuntu 12.04. Tell me what do you think about it...

Anyway keep in mind that, after installation to hard disk, Unity, Gnome 3 or KDE can be installed in just a few command lines.

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #6597 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
Hello Joel,

If you possibly have the time, I would check out Lubuntu ( wiki ). It's now an official derivative of Ubuntu like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. It's based on LXDE and even more lightweight (less CPU/RAM use) than XFCE/Xubuntu. It boots very quickly (15 seconds on this old laptop), is extremely responsive, and stable. The only downside is that they don't have an LTS release yet.

Take a look at this comparison between DEs:
www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&i...linux_desktop_vitals

Also attached is a screenshot of the memory usage after a fresh boot.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Jake.

More
11 years 4 months ago #6598 by Awaiz
Replied by Awaiz on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
Hi folks,
I'd love to help in development of the 2012/2013 version.
I'm a Mech Engg grad from Mumbai, India. Now, I am planning to do my Masters in Fluid Mechanics. As I am preparing for the Entrance Exams I do have quite some time on hand that i can help build CAELinux.

Currently, I am an average Windows user. Just installed Slackware 14.0 x64 on my laptop. I am also downloading Pear Linux 6.
I stumbled upon CAE Linux and it APPEALS to my heart :)

I would love to help in any development that I can. I really want this distro to sustain.

cheers,
Aezy.

More
11 years 4 months ago #6599 by Marco
Replied by Marco on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
Hi,
i usually use kde (in addition to caelinux) but i have an old laptop runnning xfce, is a good de , stable fast and light it should be the right de for caelinuz.
Take a look to linux mint with mate de (mate is a fork of gnome 2 )

thanks for your job Joel

More
11 years 4 months ago #6601 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic Re: CAELinux 2012 Build
Hello Joel,

As you start to compile and create another version of CAELinux, you might consider the following:

Instead of you doing all the work and rolling it into a single image, what if you simply made compile guides for each of the programs, using Ubuntu (packages) as the base? Many people have said they would volunteer their time, what if we started a mailing list (or simply added a private section to the forum here) devoted to compile guide development. Individuals can be responsible for making compile guides for specific programs, and when they get stuck, go back to the group for help. Once done, the group can review each others' compile guides for clarity and to make sure they work, etc. Once finalized, we could put them all up on the wiki.

In this way, people can pretty much take whatever distro of Ubuntu they want, so long as they have access to the package repositories, and compile the programs they need. I think this is more effective in the long run, especially when a new version of a program is released and the compile process is essentially the same.

I can/will volunteer my time for such an effort; I'd be interested in creating guides for Elmer, Code_Saturne, SALOME, etc.

What do you think?

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds