CAELinux 2017 / 2018

• Joël Cugnoni
  • Joël Cugnoni's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #9109 by Joël Cugnoni
CAELinux 2017 / 2018 was created by Joël Cugnoni
Dear all

After more than 3 years without release due to limited free time, I have now the pleasure to announce that I am finally working on a new CAElinux.

According to my rough estimates it should be ready by end 2017 or early 2018.

The base OS will be Xubuntu 16.04 and it will ship with the most recent versions of Salome Meca 2017, Code Aster 13.4 MPI, Code Saturne 5.0.4), Openfoam and HelyxOS GUI as well as Calculix (with Calculix Launcher GUI) and many more.

I will post here some updates and if you have suggestions feel free to reply to that topic.

Cheers

Joel

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Danilo M., Bob B, noname

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #9110 by ing.nicola.dettole
Replied by ing.nicola.dettole on topic Re: CAELinux 2017 / 2018
Yes , really great!
however ,Xubuntu is at 17.10 version

I would like if in new caelinux there is code Saturne integrated with Salome to activate CFDSTUDY module , very difficult to install; and SYRTHES coupled with code Saturne.

Other software can be ftool (very usefull) and OPEN FOAM.
the are LTbeam and Telaio 2D but works on windows only...
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by ing.nicola.dettole.

More
6 years 5 months ago #9111 by Danilo M.
Replied by Danilo M. on topic Re: CAELinux 2017 / 2018
Wouldn't Linux Mint XFCE (or even Cinnamon Edition) be a great base for future CAELinux releases?

It's stable and easier to keep softwares updated than Xubuntu, I believe.

Also, I'd like to suggest the pre-installation of Smath Studio Desktop (freeware), it's a wonderful Mathcad like program.

Regards,

Danilo

More
6 years 5 months ago #9184 by Fa-Gung Fan
Replied by Fa-Gung Fan on topic Re: CAELinux 2017 / 2018
This is really great news. Thank you Joel.

- ffan

More
6 years 5 months ago #9185 by Leo
Replied by Leo on topic Re: CAELinux 2017 / 2018
Hello,
thank you for good news.
I created package for new caelinux at here:
sourceforge.net/projects/calculixforwin/...launcher4caelinux17/

md5sum: 55e01c39aa64cc8d1d7758a3a99130c7 CLCX-caelinux.zip

It has: latest ccx213, cgx213 and GMSH + updated converters.
I am making this project for my own needs, and it is portable just because I have to use different distributions or remote instances.
You can just place in under /home/caelinux and provide links (to Launcher and GMSH 3.06 separately) from start menu.

Xubuntu is the best choice. Latest caelinux was perfect, thank you for great job.
What is really needed for beginners (it is my personal opinion): Salome-MECA, Code-Saturne, OpenFoam, Elmer, Agros2D, ImpactFEM.
There is a separate question about FreeCAD, what is the best and more stable.
Many programs can be installed from Ubuntu Software Center (such as blender3d). IDE for programmers means more or less experienced people, they can select and install it, but libraries like opencascade are needed.
I would rather provide some instructions and links for people who starts to work (including links to freeware like DraftSight, Medusa4linux, QCAD trial, GiD, .
I can take part and help with testing.
Will work for CalculiX Launcher little bit more (presentation and learning curve for beginners)

Regards!

• Joël Cugnoni
  • Joël Cugnoni's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #9186 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re: CAELinux 2017 / 2018
Thank you all for your feedback !

Here are some comments to your suggestions:
@dettole: Concerning Xubuntu, I have settled on 16.04 because it is a long term support version... so it will be supported long after 17.10.
Thanks for pointing to Ftool and other codes, but I cannot include them in CAElinux as they are not open source (they are free for non commercial use) and I don't want to risk being "sued" because of possible licence infringement.

@dham: thanks for your feedback; as a long time Ubuntu user, I have favored what I master, but I will try to compare to Linux Mint XFCE in the future. For that release it will be based on Xubuntu 16.04 but as both distribution share a common code base, there should be some ways to migrate the codes to Linux Mint .
This time I will not build deb packages for each individual code, as it takes a lot of time and is quite difficult to test properly.
But it will publish archives of the binaries with a README instruction to list pre-requisites and installation procedure.

Smath looks great, but after checking the licence terms, it is forbidden to redistribute it and it is not open source.

@calc4fem:
thanks a lot for your work on Calculix Launcher , I really like it !! I will include your new release.
Concerning the CAE software list, I have already included OpenFoam, Elmer, Salome-Meca + Aster MPI. I will check Agros2D ad will certainly include ImpactFEM.

@All:

As there are many interesting software that I will not be able to include due either to space constraint in the ISO image or because of licencing, it would be nice if we could write a small document that would list potential additions that the user could install afterwards.

If you could write a small section with the following information, i could then compile all the proposed descriptions and integrate it in a document in the final release.

I propose that for each software, we describe the following:

Title: Name of the software
Description: two line of text describing the purpose of the software
Keyword: 2-3 keywords (like mathematics, development, FEA, CFD, ....)
Link : link to the software (URL) avoid direct link to binaries, but point to the download section on the website.
Installation instruction: link (URL) to a page describing how to install it.
Licence: licence name or kind (GPL, BSD, free for non commercial use, freeware).

What do you think?

Cheers

Joel

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Torben, Francis ROY

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds