CAELinux 2013: development and testing

More
10 years 11 months ago #6859 by Carlos
Replied by Carlos on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
Hi Joel,

Thanks a lot for your efford. I have installed ubuntu 1204 (not that I like it) and install all packages available like a charm.
So far only tested:
Salome OK
Open Foam 211 OK (it would be interesting to add waves2foam)
HelixOs OK

I will report if any thing comes up.

Carlos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #6864 by John Hazel
Replied by John Hazel on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
OK I am going to do what I can here. I'll be using xfce and LXDE on my Ubuntu 12.4.2 installs.

My first good experience with openFOAM was when using CAElinux 2011 on an AMD Phenom II 980 system with 8Gb of ram and an ATI 4870 video card. I still have that system and intend to keep CAElinux 2011 on it. I will add another hard drive to use for CAElinux 2013.

My second system is AMD A10-5800k with 16Gb ram. CAE 2011 was troublesome on that (lack of good drivers for 7660D integrated video). Ubuntu 12.4.2 seems to be working well so far but not without some bugs yet.

Once I get proficient in analizing canoe bodies in waves I will look at getting a socket 2011 based system with it's four channel memory interface.

I am still at the level of just doing tutorials in openFOAM..

So my first question is about installng packages. The guide for testing states that I should use "sudo apt-get install name-of-the-package " To find the list of package names I went to the list page (sourceforge.net/p/caelinux/home/CAELinux2013_package_list/) and found the openFoam and Salom package names. However on the files page (sourceforge.net/projects/caelinux/files/...esting/binary-amd64/) there are many more listed. Should I install all that I can? Is there a problem with installing by just downloading directly from that binaries page or do you prefer I use "sudo apt-get install name-of-the-package "?

• Joël Cugnoni
  • Joël Cugnoni's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #6865 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
Great, thanks for testing the packages.
As it is my very first step in building packages, your feedback is very valuable.

I have tested the all packages so far on a Core i7 mobile with an ATI gpu, seems to work well, but sometimes I got graphics issues when using Salome in Unity. In XFCE it seems more stable though.
I will also do some tests on AMD CPUs later on but in the meantime I am very curious to see if it works well. Especially Aster and Saturne (that I will upload shortly) which are using Openblas. It is the first time that I use Openblas, so I don't know if it will support a broad range of CPUs...or just the architecture it was compiled on.

To test the package in the most realistic I would recommend to go for 'sudo apt-get install' or synaptic GUI.

And sorry the page on package list is not up to date, so just look at the package names in the dist/testing/.../binary-amd64 folder for the moment.

Next step for me is to package Syrthes with Saturne coupling...

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Hazel

More
10 years 11 months ago #6868 by John Hazel
Joel, what version of Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS do you intend to build the CAElinux2013 iso from? I'm doing a fresh install today and will just fall in line with your choice. You mentioned xfce?

• Joël Cugnoni
  • Joël Cugnoni's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #6869 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
Hi,

my plan is to start from Xubuntu 12.04 AMD64 (so XFCE as a desktop) but I also use Ubuntu with Unity on my laptop to test the packages. The idea behind development of packages and a repository is that you will be able to get a full CAELinux desktop from any existing install of a Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 variant. So you can choose the version of Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 that you prefer. Also note that after installation, you can always add another desktop environment. For example, on my laptop, I have Ubuntu 12.04 (with Unity) + XUbuntu desktop packages so I can switch desktop env.

Concerning desktop environment, I have found a way to mimic Gnome 2 interface using XFCE so if the users (=all of you) think it is a good idea, I can make this the default settings for the ISO image. Just let me know.

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Joël Cugnoni.

More
10 years 11 months ago #6873 by John Hazel
Actually if you can make it act like CAElinux 2011 that would be my preference. But I will fall in line with whatever you go for.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds