CAELinux 2013: development and testing

More
10 years 11 months ago #6921 by vittorio lucarelli
Replied by vittorio lucarelli on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
Hello Joel.
Thank you for the great work.
Have you considered to include Adventure FEM in caelinux 2013?
if not yet done, take a look at

adventure.sys.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/

the reference platform is Ubuntu, so the binaries shoud work without great problems
Bye
Vittorio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #6944 by Simulant
Replied by Simulant on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
Ist there any "testimonial" to see if software works as expected?

Installing from sourceforge seems to work:

Ubuntu 12.04 (Lubuntu and Mate desktop added)

Mint 13 based on Ubuntu
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Simulant.

More
10 years 10 months ago #6964 by Dan Cook
Replied by Dan Cook on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
Hi Joel,

I will lead by simply saying thanks...you have done some great work with the CAELinux releases.

I am still somewhat new to Linux but have been involved with multi-physics simulations (CFD, Magnetics, Stress, Thermal) for some time. Like most, I got tired of the restrictions posed by M$ and the related software vendors so started OS shopping.

In recent months, I have tried several CAELinux dist's (2008 PCLinux, 2010, 2011) and I was left wanting more after digging into 2011; hearing that you are working on 2013 is great news indeed.

I followed some of your guidance and have installed the following:
Xubuntu 12.04 inside VBox with 2-6 cores and 4GB to 16GB Ram
Machine is HP 8760w with Intel 4/8 core @3.2GHz with 32GB ram.
I installed Helyx 1.0.2 & OF 2.1.1 and 2.2.0 & Paraview 3.98.1. I have been successful in setting up a rather simple icoFoam of a sphere in a flow box using snappyHexMesh -parallel with refinement 7/layers and icoFoam -parallel with no problems (once I figured out the syntax and procedure). Helyx 1.0.2 has taken care of many of the bugs from 1.0 and 1.0.1 so that I was able to set-up and run quite quickly.

There are things I like about the XFCE desktop (speed and responsiveness) but must agree with the prior poster that the 2011 desktop was just great! The three drop-downs across the top were so intuitive and I find myself trying to make other desktops just like that; please keep that feature (of course, others can set it up themselves...but you did such a great job before).

I will try installing Mate on-top of Xubuntu Xfce and see how/if I like that.

I have noticed some video issues with Paraview 3.98.1 when zooming/resizing but a closing and re-run the program takes care of it (might be a VBox issue).

I for one appreciate everything you are doing...let me know if there is anything I can do to help (...I am a decent programmer but still learning Linux/BASH).

Thanks.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #6977 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
I have troubles witch code-aster-mpi:

I tested it with Kubuntu 12.04.2Live CD and after a succesfull installation it doesn't work.
first I had troubles to set up a local server which was not existent. Then
I got this error Message when running astk:
<A> COPYFILE: No such file or directory fort.80

File Attachment:

File Name: snapshot.zip
File Size:530 KB

This means it apperas that the local server does not create a rmed.
Or is it something else?
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Stefan.

• Joël Cugnoni
  • Joël Cugnoni's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 10 months ago #6980 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
Thanks for reporting this issue.

actually, the name of the local machine must be modified in /opt/aster113/etc/codeaster/asrun:
search for the line "noeud: caelinux" and modify it to "noeud: kubuntu" (supposing that your PC hostname is "kubuntu").

After you have done that, close and restart ASTK and it should work. Also to use the most ot of your computer's resources, you can edit /opt/aster113/etc/codeaster/aster-mpi-hostlist (or something close) to specify the right number of available cores (called slots in openmpi jargon) on your machine(s).

I will fix this issue and produce an updated package with a post installation script that does this automatically in a near future.

Update on the development:
I have worked recently on the development of a package for Calculix 2.5 multithreaded as well as testing of the installation and runtime of all packages on different cpus architecture (Core i5/i7, Phenom X4), Ubuntu variants (Ubuntu and Xubuntu). A few bug fixes are planned for some packages but overall it seems to work fairly well. I am producing a customization package for XFCE to make it look and behave like the GNOME 2 desktop used in previous versions of CAELinux. I will post this package very soon for testing.
Then what will remain is mostly packaging the small wizards, tools and docs that are specific to CAELinux; selecting the packages that will be part of the ISO image and produce an official CAELinux 2013 ISO for testing. This should be done in the next 2 months.

Best Regards

Joel

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan

More
10 years 10 months ago #6981 by John Hazel
Replied by John Hazel on topic Re: CAELinux 2013: development and testing
I had trouble getting applets such as "cpu frequency scaling monitor" to install and run on xfce. Also some bugs with "system monitor" application.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds