problem in surface mesh generation

• Alejandro
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #4904 by Alejandro
problem in surface mesh generation was created by Alejandro
Hi, I am new with Salome, and I have a problem.

I imported a archivo .stp from CATIA, and now I need do the mesh, but when I go to do the mesh there are any problem, the mesh computation failed is realised, there are problem in Surface mesh generation in some face.
I tried to repar these errors the 3D in Salome with the option repair in geometry, but the problem is the same.
Someone had similar problem or can give me a solution?

thanks, sorry for my english

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #4905 by CAVT
Replied by CAVT on topic Re:problem in surface mesh generation
That could be because the Step file has extra surfaces not connected to the solid, it's simply a problem of CATIA and other softwares like Rhino3D that behave strange when exporting to stp or IGES. Try to do the following:
In the Geometry module of Salome, select in the tree your imported file, then go to the menu NEW ENTITY --> Explode, and select "solid" (not "solid compound") in the subshape types. After you apply and close, you should see in the tree a new solid feature under your original piece.
Then in the Mesh module, when creating the mesh, select that new solid and forget about the old one. If you create face groups, do it also with the new solid.
The idea of using the new solid instead of the original is because it will be biunivocally defined by only the necessary number of surfaces, lines and points. I know this because I also had these isues more than once :lol:

Puede ser un problema de CATIA cuando exporta archivos stp. Andá al módulo Geometry de Salome, seleccioná tu archivo importado, y después andá al menú NEW ENTITY --> Explode. Una vez ahí, seleccioná "solid" (no solid compound) dentro del menú subshape types. Aceptá y si expandís el árbol de objetos debería aparecerte un nuevo sólido, que debería estar bien definido. Para todas las uevas operaciones que hagas, ya sea mallado, creación de grupos de caras, etc., usá este nuevo sólido. Cualquier cosa, si seguís teniendo problemas y tu archivo stp no es muy grande, probá de adjuntarlo en un nuevo post (al archivo de CATIA también podría ser).

• Alejandro
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #4909 by Alejandro
Replied by Alejandro on topic Re:problem in surface mesh generation
This is for my final project. A company sent me the 3D geometry and now I have to mesh with salome and make a series of thermal calculation to the implementation CODE-ASTER.
I tried to do what you proposed me, but without success.In NEW ENTITY ->Explode I have not the option "solid" in the subshape types (there are : shell, face, vertex, wire and edge).
The archive is more big than I can sent, sorry

Thanks for the help

More
13 years 4 months ago #4913 by CAVT
Well, that should mean the solid is in some way well defined. If you can, explode the shape into surfaces, and by selecting surface by surface check that they don't repeat/intersect in the same place (but I guess you have a rather complex piece).
It could be also that you have no solid and only the shell, in which case a 3D algorithm will fail.
Some 2D mesh algorithms crash when faces have more than 4 edges, like quadrangle mapping. Which algorithms are you using? Remember that with the exception of Netgen 3D-2D-1D and Netgen 2D-1D, you must explicitly define one by one the 3D, 2D and 1D algorithms, for example, Netgen 3D, Mefisto, Wire discretisation. If you only mesh surfaces, the 3D algorithm is not necessary.
Can you provide more details on the error? Does at least some part of the mesh generate? Maybe some screenshots?

• Alejandro
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #4916 by Alejandro
Replied by Alejandro on topic Re:problem in surface mesh generation
Hi, this link up just one part of the geometry
(www.megaupload.com/?d=EEZPN79Z), if you can take a look, I would be very helpful.
When generating the mesh is generated almost all, except that some faces are those that fail.
At first came the following error "memory allocation" but this one solved with the "repair".

Greetings

More
13 years 4 months ago #4917 by CAVT
Alejandro, would you mind checking the link you sent me? It says the file is temporaly deactivated. I see they are about conformed metal sheets and 2MB, but I cannot download it. If you cannot upload it to Megaupload, try with Mediafire (this one works really good), Ifile or Yousendit.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds