SalomeMeca locks during piston tutorial

More
15 years 11 months ago #2004 by John Spry
Replied by John Spry on topic Re:SalomeMeca locks during piston tutorial
I tried installing the latest version of the ATI Display Driver in Linux and then the desktop wouldn't start and I could only run in Terminal mode. I reinstalled the CAELinux Distribution and I am back to where I started. I must admit I didn't implicity follow the driver release notes, which said:
"Before attempting to install the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite, the following software must be installed:

XOrg 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 or 7.3
Linux Kernel 2.6 and above
glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications".

I didn't do that because I don't know how to find out whether this software is installed or not. I tried the "Linux Newbie Userguide" and that didn't help.
Can someone explain how I can do that and then I can try again?
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #2005 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:SalomeMeca locks during piston tutorial
Hello,

in CAELinux 2008, there is a small application to simplify the installation of the ATI/NVidia Graphic Drivers: it is called "vit" for Video Installation Tool and it can also run in LiveDVD mode if you want to try.

To run it, either type "vit" from a terminal or go in the Utilities folder on the desktop where there is a shortcut.

If you do not succeed with VIT, retry with the official ATI drivers, but this time, read the Doc. The critical part is to correctly configure the driver options, which is really not well done automatically by the installer. To simplify the editiong of the x.org configuration file, ATI has its own tool called aticonfig which possesses a really enormous list of options.

Here are a few "tricks" to solve the ati driver issues when the graphic server does not start after installing the ati drivers (either from VIT or from the official ATI installer):

- you can run "video" as root to switch back to VESA driver and resturn to KDE.

- you can try to edit the Xorg.conf file to remove the lines
ModeLine "768x576" .... and retry.

- ultimatelly, save your Xorg.conf and run:
"aticonfig --initial --force"
as root in a terminal. This will completely reset your x.org config to some simple and clean configuration.

- there are also issues with the display resolution detection or multiple screen, in this case, force your settings with aticonfig's options like --resolution for example. Read carefully the output of aticonfig --help to learn more details.

To be honest, ATI drivers for Linux are a nightmare compared to Nvidia ones... so if you buy a machine or a graphic card and you intend to run Linux, make sure that you have a Nvidia graphic chipset, that's the best investment that you can do!!

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

More
15 years 9 months ago #2095 by John Spry
Replied by John Spry on topic SOLVED-SalomeMeca locks during piston tutorial
I installed CAELinux2008 and ran the VIT utility, selecting the ATI drivers.
Apart from the machine not re-booting after I restarted it, SALOME-Meca Piston Tutorial ran with no problems.
I would like to thank the Administrator very much for his good advice
I would also like to encourage users to try different projects and post their experiences for the rest of the user-group to learn from

More
15 years 8 months ago #2167 by Johnny Geling
Replied by Johnny Geling on topic Re:SalomeMeca locks during piston tutorial
Hello,

I have similar problem on a laptop with (k)ubuntu (everything is up to date)
The video card is an intel
'VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GM
L Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)'

I cannot import any geometry in salomemeca 2008. As source I tried igs, step and acis.
The hardware acceleration is working as GLX and Composite are listed under teh supported extension and compiz is working as expected. Even googleearth uses the 3D hardware acceleration.

I can only unfreeze the system by killing the salomemeca process. This can only be done using an ssh login from another system.

What can I do to debug/solve the problem?

Johnny

More
15 years 6 months ago #2284 by xyz
i am getting logged off while using salome. i have tried that VIT but i found many drivers like ATI,ATI7x, nvdia 71xx,nvidia 96xx, nvidia 169xx, i couldnt understand what to install. also there are three more options like local,internet ,remote..what should i select? does installing the drivers solve my problem??

More
15 years 6 months ago #2285 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:SalomeMeca locks during piston tutorial
Hi,

there is no magic in VIT unfortunatelly: you need to know which graphic card is installed in your computer and then based on the description of the different VIT option (ATI,ATI7x,NVidia...), you can choose the right driver for your card.
Once you have it, if you have an internet connexion working, use the Install from internet of if not Install from local.

This only works for Nvidia/Ati cards; and if you have a very recent 3D card, you should better consider installing the proprietary drivers manually (see ati.com or nvidia.com for more information).

Good luck

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds