beta 3 do not start

More
16 years 11 months ago #1222 by Robin Borland
Replied by Robin Borland on topic Re:beta 3 do not start
Thanks,
I'll keep trying, I am now on my 4th attempt - Win RAR finds errors in part two.

Thanks
Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #1223 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:beta 3 do not start
Hello,

if you have so many problems with the HTTP download, it may mean that there is some \"corruption\" on your internet link (this can happen...).

In this case, why don't you try the BitTorrent download: it is 100% failsafe as it verifies the checksum of each 1/1000th part of the file, so you are absolutely sure to receive the correct file in the end.

This should solve your problem.

Best regards,

J. Cugnoni

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

More
16 years 11 months ago #1225 by Robin Borland
John,
I am currently trying to do the bit torrent method, it is slow right now since there is only one \"peer\" available. I will let it run for a few days to see how it goes. For bit-torrent to work, there has to be a few of us on at the same time.

Thanks
Robin

More
16 years 11 months ago #1227 by Joël Cugnoni
Yes,
you are right BitTorrent does not work well with a few peers... it seems that people do not \"seed\" the files after having completed the download and so the system cannot work!!

At the momement, the only peer is me....

so, please, if someone reads this post:

WE NEED GENEROUS PEOPLE THAT SEED (=share) THE FILES OVER BITTORRENT!!
TRY TO KEEP THE FILE FOR SOME DAYS WITH YOUR BITTORRENT CLIENT OPEN.

Also, please, open your BitTorrent service and ports on your Firewall. Without this, you cannot share your files with others.

Thank you all in advance for your support!

www.caelinux.com

More
16 years 11 months ago #1233 by Robin Borland
I managed to complete the bittorrent download and burn the bootable disk with Nero. Worked with no problem. There seemed to be more activity so the download speeded up as more people were on the system

One question - When I tried to run Salome, I get a Segmentation Violation Address ( different each time)

I did not ever see this on the 3a version. I am skeptical about replacing my hard drive install with the 3b in case I have the same issue.

Another Issue that I noticed was that the ipw 3945 (wireless) driver is not on the OS - my work around for this on 3a was to use a Belkin USB wireless that I plugged in during boot - 3a recognized this card during boot up, but for some reason 3b does not.

Thanks
Robin

More
16 years 11 months ago #1234 by Joël Cugnoni
Hi,

the segmentation error can be due to a graphics driver that does not work with MESA software OpenGL rendering. This is typically the case when booting in FrameBuffer mode.
To check this, run the command \"glxgears\" in a terminal. If it fails, it means that OpenGL rendering does not work.
To solve this issue, you should select a more appropriate video driver in PcLinuxOs control center or install one of the 3D accelerated driver given in /opt/helpers/drivers (this also works in LiveDVD mode!!). Read \"Getting Started\" to see how to install these drivers.

Concerning the Belkin USB WIFI adapter, in theory, as the kernel is more recent, it should still be supported. But, there may be some changes in the kernel options (I don't compile these kernels myself, so I don't know all selected options... ). Another cause can be the apic - noapic boot option. If you boot in one of the \"Alt\" mode, apic will be disabled, which can cause some problems with USB support...

So try to boot once in the default mode and once in the ALT mode to see if it changes something. And also, look at the messages during boot-up (press ESC when you see the progress bar), it may tell you whats going wrong (missing firmware for example..)

If you know which chipset is used in your adapter, you may find the correct driver in \"/opt/helpers/drivers/others\"

Concerning the ipw3945, there are known problems with this adapter, but it appears to work with NDISWrapper (need the windows driver for it to run).

You can try to browse the PcLinuxOs forums at www.pclinuxos.com for more information on the hardware support.

Good luck

J.Cugnoni

www.caelinux.com

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds