Caelinux cluster

• Filippo Monari
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #4716 by Filippo Monari
Replied by Filippo Monari on topic Re:Caelinux cluster
hi, thx everyone for the interesting contributes.
I think I going to try setup a cluster such as that in my last post near the Christmas holiday. At home i have already a machine with a cpu 2.83 GHz. Can anyone suggest me a good configuration (around 1000 euro)?
Thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4717 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:Caelinux cluster
Hi,
the best config depends on what code you will use.
For Aster, a fast hdd and a lot of ram is a must (8Gb is a good deal), something like a Phenom II X4 965 or Intel I5 750 (or higher like I7 860, 950 if you can) is a good choice.
For CFD, in most cases, you don't need such high memory (but 4Gb is a minimum), but a good network bandwidth and a lot of fast cpus. So something a good Core I7 or Phenom II X6 would be a good choice.
Personnally, as I don't earn money with my CAELinux activities (the DVD orders just pay my running costs and a few spare parts), I pay much attention to the performance per euros. For me the best deals are to buy parts and build a system myself. In that aspect AMD has the best offers and you can build a nice 4 cores Phenom II X4 965@3.4Ghz / 8Gb ram system for much less than 1000 euros today.

Or you can wait for CAELinux 2010 on Amazon EC2 and pay "per use".
With 1000 euros, you can run approximatelly 500 hours of computation on a 64Gb, 8 cpu machine (best for large Aster jobs) or 330 hours of computation on a 4 node cluster of 8 cores 2.5 Ghz Xeons ( thats a lot a cpus, 32!)
And you can get even lower prices if you use Spot instances.
see aws.amazon.com/ec2/ for more info.

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

• Filippo Monari
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #4719 by Filippo Monari
thx a lot, really.
I'm thinking to build a cluster fro rendering program (blender+luxrender) and plus numerical simulation. Does Amazon EC2 works with rendering application?
Thx in advance

More
13 years 7 months ago #4729 by CAVT
Replied by CAVT on topic Re:Caelinux cluster
Ciao, Filipo.
I found this option that may fit your budget:
www.cfd-online.com/Forums/hardware/72737...-budget-pcs-cfd.html
And if you're thinking in expanding your capacity in the future, maybe investing a bit more in the following beast could be a good choice:
www.sgi.com/products/workgroup/index.html
Hope it helps.

• Filippo Monari
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #4736 by Filippo Monari
thx cavt, I have seen the sgi origin and octane....very interesting...but they are just case right?<br /><br />Post edited by: Filippo Monari, at: 2010/09/16 10:56

More
13 years 7 months ago #4741 by CAVT
Replied by CAVT on topic Re:Caelinux cluster
According to the one website I once read, a base configuration with two or four multicore processors can be bought, and all the other peripherals are at your cost.IMHO it's a nice investment if you're setting an enterprise or for the Uni.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds