Request for feedback : Development of a new 2022 release or else?

• Gabriel Alves Silva
More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #10072 by Gabriel Alves Silva
I have never used CAELinux in the live USB option, I believe that as a virtual machine it is more interesting.

Currently I use Arduino-IDE, FreeCAD, GNU-Octave, Cura, Virtual Box, GMAT, ROS, Gazebo.

I think the idea of a Linux distribution for Engineering is sensational, but currently I feel I use CAELinux because I enjoy the project, but it doesn't necessarily help me.

So, I choose idea 3. because it keeps the idea of an optimized distribution for engineering and still a store that would centralize the engineering applications making it easier to install them, (like not having to go to several different places to download ROS, gazebo, GMAT, maybe not having to use the shell).
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Gabriel Alves Silva.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #10075 by maciej
Hello Joël,

first of all great thanks for continuing the project.

Personally, using mainly Salome-Meca / Open-Foam, then option 3 sounds good. Also maybe it could be easier later, to maintain some packges easier to update (i.e. SM2022 in future) without rebuilding whole system with "software center".

Also about ISO/virtual machine - I have never used live USB, just always install on hardware. Eearlier I used it as stnadalone installation, but XFCE was hard to maintain as "regular" computer with FEA possibilities, so I switched to VirtualBox now, so from my point of view Virtual Machine Image is also a nice option, but 10GB ISO is good as well, I always can install it :).

Thank you very much once again.

More
1 year 4 months ago #10114 by Andrea
Good afternoon Joël,

1-What do you think about switching to ArchLinux or a flavour of ArchLinux?
You could save time to package all those softwares that are already there making a basically script such as:

sudo pacman -Syu freecad octave rocs ... and so on

You could also use all the aur packages, in that case the script would be (after installing the AUR helper paru with
git clone aur.archlinux.org/paru.git
cd Paru
makepkg -si )

paru -Syu calculix open-foam elmer salome (the last two need a new PKGBUILD)

Doing this, you would have only to update those PKGBUILD or once done, saving it on your personal "mirror".
You could also use archiso to build a custom iso (maybe with using the gui installer from manjaro and/or antergos or even forking one of those distros).

To sum up I think that could be an improvement for these reasons:
-Large documentation (Archwiki)
-Saving time using ready software (that someone else could update in the AUR)
-Lightweight, High customizable (you could make some choices line networkmanager-desktop enviroment-mhwd for nvidia frivers ecc... to help beginners).

Hope you have got some useful information from this message.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #10138 by Mariusz
Hi Joel,
Are the subsequent containers available for download and testing on Ubuntu or Xubuntu:
1. ElmerFEM
2. HelyxOS-OpenFOAMv7
3.Salome-Meca 2021+Aster API?
p.s.
Relates to your post #10061.

More
10 months 1 week ago #10225 by starlink
Based on the problem statement you provided, it seems like you're looking for feedback and suggestions regarding the future direction of CAELinux. Here are some thoughts on the options you've mentioned:
  1. Switching to a lighter distribution: Moving to a lighter, easier to customize distribution like MX Linux could be a viable option. It offers benefits such as better remastering utilities and lower resource requirements. However, the challenge lies in the size of the main software packages. Considering the limited space available, you may need to carefully select which software to include by default, prioritizing the most essential tools for your target audience.
  2. Developing a "CAE Software center" app: Creating an application that allows users to install the main CAE software on their preferred distribution can provide more flexibility. This approach eliminates the need for a live USB image and focuses on post-installation customization. However, it will require significant development effort and may have some initial complexities. Ensuring compatibility with different distributions and developing user-friendly installation methods will be crucial.
  3. Mix of both approaches: Combining a base ISO image with the essential CAE tools and an app for installing additional packages can be a good compromise. This way, users can have a pre-configured environment while still having the flexibility to install other software as needed. The app can act as a front-end for package management, making it easier for users to install additional tools.
  4. Lightweight variant and full distribution: Providing both a lightweight variant and a full distribution ISO can cater to users with different needs and hardware capabilities. Defining what qualifies as "lightweight" will depend on the specific size constraints and target audience. Including essential tools like Salome-Meca in both variants could be a good starting point.
  5. Relevance of CAELinux as a custom distro: Evaluating the relevance of CAELinux as a custom distro depends on various factors, including user preferences, market demand, and the availability of alternative solutions. Virtual machine images can be an alternative distribution method, providing users with a pre-configured environment that can run on different host systems.
Leverpool SEO

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #10738 by Mariusz
Hello Joël,
I would like to ask about development trend of CAELinux. It is really valuable project. I recently installed Salome-meca from Scibian9 Singularity container and of course I had some issues related to NVIDIA graphic card something that never happened using CAELinux 2020 on my previous laptop. I tried to install CAELinux2020 on my new laptop modifying GRUB but anyway I didn't succeed to install it. Probably there is some security issue related to BIOS, so I installed UBUNTU22 hoping CAELinux 2022 is on the way.
Best regards,
Mariusz

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds