CAE LINUX 2020: First impression of a user

More
3 years 6 months ago #9622 by Shesh Nath Singh
Replied by Shesh Nath Singh on topic CAE LINUX 2020: First impression of a user
CAELinux will really be a boon for engineering students of Indian universities provided they are told and convinced about this. There is a great lack of awareness and confusion about open source softwares in general. IIT Mumbai is is doing a good job in this regard (fossee.in/).

-- SN SINGH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sukumar
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #9624 by Sukumar
Replied by Sukumar on topic CAE LINUX 2020: First impression of a user
Dear SN SINGH,

I agree with you that lack of awareness is a major bottleneck in our country (INDIA) for adopting quality OS softwares such as those provided with CAELinux. Another issue is difficulty to persue those at the helm of affairs in academic administration, mainly due to the lack of awareness about the current prevalance of OSS in industries globally. Another issue is the aggressive marketing strategy of commercial software developers/vendors. I sincerely believe that adopting quality OSS in teaching and research can help in better use of resources to create good research infrastructures rather than buying many (not so useful) commercial codes. [Disclaimer: I am not saying that every commercial code is worthless.:-)] Fortunately, Govt of India has published some mandate reg use of OSS, but the application they keep in mind is primarily in the IT sector and not in education/research.

In this regard, I am happy to share that in addition to IITs, in few Indian Institutes like NERIST, we are trying our best, since long, to use quality OSS in teaching and research, mainly on personal capacity. No doubt that IITB, IITR etc are ahead of us, primarily, due to their large number of Research scholars who are enthusiastic about quality OSS . I have been personally active in disseminating about advantages and applicability of OSS in Civil Engineering Education and Research over the years, at various institutes. My experience says that such activities can generate long lasting interests on OSS, at least in few students/researchers, in different institutes.

I think, the need of the hour is to organise awareness programs in various institutes and display the effectiveness of good quality OSS vis-a-vis closed source/commercial softwares.

Hope, few interested individuals (like us) can think of starting such an endeavour in an organised manner in near future.

Best Regards.

Sukumar
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Sukumar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds