CAE LINUX 2020: First impression of a user

• Sukumar
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #9567 by Sukumar
Hi all,

Happy to get this 2020 version of CAE Linux, a big kudos to the developer, Joel, for providing us this distribution.

I particularly prefer CAE Linux for my students, most of whom are not familiar with LINUX OS and also find it really difficult to install CAE softwares like S-Meca in Linux. In the past I had tried to see how good the windows version of Salome_meca/Code-aster is, thinking to recommend them for my students. But I was not satisfied, particularly with the 2019 version, due to many problems that arises during runtime. This is possibly due to the migration to Python 3.

In that sense, CAE Linux is a boon, which the students can either run as Live distribution and after getting themselves familiar with it, they can install it in their PCs/Laptops, (with/without some help). Also it is a great tool for online/offline classroom teaching, where the available PC in the Podium can be used for live booting the CAE Linux.

Since I use Salome-Meca quite a lot for teaching and research, therefore, I am not in a position to comment on other CAE softwares bundled in this version. On the other hand, the development environments like Spyder3, WxMaxima are other great tools commonly used by an Engineering students for normal engineering computations. A striking difference I could see, compared to earlier versions, is the absence of SCILAB in this release.

One point that has concerened me as an user is that the version of Salome-Meca provided is Salome-Meca 2019.0.1, whereas the latest one is 2019.0.3 universal. A major deficiency in the provided version is the absence of OpenTurns, useful for uncertainty/ sensitivity analysis, commonly necessary in real life Engineering simulations (if not in class room teaching always). Also AFAIK, it contained a few fixes compared to 2019.0.1 version.

I do not know how difficult would it be to bundle the latest version of Salome-Meca. However, making this available would be a great boon for users like me or many students/research scholars and also many practicing engineers involved in product design.

Thus, it would really be great to have a further release bundled with the latest S-Meca version i.e. 2019.0.3, if possible. I understand that the developer works in his free time only and therefore, it is just a suggestion from an user.

Keeping that apart, I think, it is a great distro made available to us by Joel and the user community must be thankful to him. Even when run in Live mode, I found it fast enough in my intel i5 system with 8GB RAM. I will certainly recommend this bundle to my students as well as to other research scholars in my university, particularly to those working in the Mechanical/ CFD field.

Thanks a lot Joel, for releasing this version.

Sukumar
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Sukumar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Claus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #9574 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic CAE LINUX 2020: First impression of a user
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I have had issues making Salome-Meca 2019.2 to work properly without issues so that's why I kept v2019.1. Then when v2019.3 came out, I forgot to try it out...

Concerning Scilab, I also had some issue running it so, as it is available anyways from the repositories, I thought that I would leave it out. Nevertheless, it is good to know that some user would like to have it in the ISO.

For your information, I have also prepared a "lite" version that is smaller than 4Gb (fit on a DVD) but does not include SalomeCFD (use the SaturneStudy or command line instead) nor OpenModelica (available in repositories).

I will upload it to Source Forge soon, after a bit more testing.

• Sukumar
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #9577 by Sukumar
Replied by Sukumar on topic CAE LINUX 2020: First impression of a user
Dear Joel,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I just made a casual comment on Scilab. For users, installing scilab themselves are usually no problem, thanks to the Scilab developers.

Secondly, since you are already planning to release the lite version, it would really be great if you could provide Salome-Meca2019.0.3 in this release, instead of Salome-Meca 2019.0.1. And, there indeed were problems in SM 2019.0.2.

Thanks and Best regards.
Sukumar

• Sukumar
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #9607 by Sukumar
Dear Joel,

Hope you are doing great.

I would like to know, if there is any update on the light version of CAELinux2020 you proposed to release. May I expect Salome-Meca 2019.0.3 to be included there? Or is there any proposal to bring out a revised release of the full version including SM 2019.0.3 and Code-aster parallel version?

Few of my PG students need these for their work, who are newbies in the Linux world and they are out of campus due to the pandemic.

With best regards and Best wishes

Sukumar

3 years 5 months ago #9608 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic CAE LINUX 2020: First impression of a user
Hello,

Sorry for the delay. I have tested the lite version in the last few weeks and it seems to work fine. It has Salome 2019.3.

I am starting the upload to sourceforge right now. It should be available in a few hours.

Joël

• Sukumar
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #9611 by Sukumar
Dear Joel,

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will download and try the ISO and come back here..

With Best regards..

Sukumar

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds