Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

What do you do?

• Jake
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 3 months ago #2522 by Jake
What do you do? was created by Jake
As there's only a handful of us on this forum, I think it'd be nice if we knew each other a bit better. Not so much in the personal sense, but the professional sense.

What programs do you use, and what for? What do you do for a living?

I use Autodesk Inventor, gmsh, SALOME-MECA, Code_Saturne + SYRTHES (hopefully) to do CFD work, be it strictly flow or otherwise. I'm just a lowly intern.
More
15 years 3 months ago #2524 by Alessandro
Replied by Alessandro on topic Re:What do you do?
I'm a free lance mechanical designer, and I work in the field of industrial automation, mainly for design of automatic assembly solutions. It means that the machine designed by me are powered by pneumatic actuators (up to 40-50 bpm) or mechanical system of cams and leverages (up to 60-80 bpm).

I live in central Italy, and I use Solid Edge for my work.

I'm starting now with FEM, and I hope to make it a new service for my customers, using Salome and Code-Aster of course.

My website is www.stimarchetti.it, so you can see something (the site is very old, about 4-5 years without updates).

Regards, Alessandro.
More
15 years 3 months ago #2525 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:What do you do?
Mechanical engineering student from Denmark - going on 6th semester and I'm going to New Zealand for 6 months for my internship in a few days.

Using VariCAD, QCAD, Pro/Engineer, Code_Aster and Code_Saturne to teach myself FEA - so far I've used them in a couple of school projects but it's mostly to satisfy my own curiosity.

Using them because I think Linux needs to play a larger role in CAE and because they are free.

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version
  • Jake
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 3 months ago #2526 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic Re:What do you do?

Claus wrote:
Using them because I think Linux needs to play a larger role in CAE and because they are free.

Ditto. I tell you, I've gotten some strange looks when I've talked to a few bosses about using things called OpenFOAM or Code_Saturne. Everyone here just wants to use ANSYS products, namely FLUENT. Why pay 20000 USD when you can invest some time and do it for free?

I look at EDF's software and think, "This is exactly what we need." I work for a company that makes boiler cleaning equipment, so naturally coal pulverization routines coming from a company that builds power plants makes sense to me.

I too am a mechanical eng student B)<br /><br />Post edited by: Jacob A, at: 2009/01/23 14:26
More
15 years 3 months ago #2528 by DB
Replied by DB on topic Re:What do you do?
My day job is a programmer. I just finished my Masters degree in Engineering-Physics.
I am taking one more class this semester on FEA. I have used 3D modeling on various personal projects for a while and have wanted to add FEA to the toolbox.
More
15 years 3 months ago #2539 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:What do you do?
Hi,

my name is Joël Cugnoni, aka &quot;admin&quot; on the forums, and main developer of CAELinux. I am working as research assistant at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in the Laboratory of Applied Mechanics &amp; Reliabity and am trying to develop CAELinux on my &quot;free&quot; time.

During my studies, FEA &amp; other numerical simulation methods quickly became my main interests. After having developed several finite elements formulations in an internal code dedicated to modal analysis, I was looking for more general codes to serve as a basis to further developments.. and discovered Code-Aster! After trying to compile Aster on Windows (in 2003), I have started to develop a LiveCD dedicated to Aster.. which progressivelly lead to the CAELinux project.

My current interests are mostly in multi-physics simulation and advanced numerical method in solid mechanics (numerical homogenization, multi-scale modelling, XFEM)... and in these fields, having access to source code is a really great advantage as it gives the opportunity to implement any kind of new features (code-coupling, new material behaviour, modified solvers...) without the restrictions of closed codes.

PS: in my academic work, I have been using Abaqus, COMSOL, and I-Deas for simulation...<br /><br />Post edited by: Administrator, at: 2009/01/24 12:38

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds