code saturne

• Matthew Bondy
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #3398 by Matthew Bondy
code saturne was created by Matthew Bondy
I used the wizard to create a study in code saturne. How do I bring the GUI up to open that study? Do I use the wizard again or is there a terminal command I would use to get the GUI up and then open some file with the GUI? I dont know much about linux (although this package has taught me a decent amount so far) which is probably making this more difficult than it needs to be.

I just noticed that there was a file called SaturneGUI so I went and clicked on it and ran in terminal and sure enough the GUI came up. Thank you to whoever came up with that.

The first time I ran my problem I used the enfield gold (?) output file type. Everything seemed fine but it looked like Salome could not post process it. I then tried to output an MED file and it looks like nothing came out (comparing the files in the results folder). Any advice?

I am doing some tutorials meant for Fluent (put together by someone at Cornell University). I have been documenting the steps with screenshots and such with plans of putting some tutorials up on the wiki.

Thanks,
- Matt Bondy<br /><br />Post edited by: Matthew Bondy, at: 2009/08/27 04:52

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3399 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:code saturne
When you create a case for Saturne, it creates the gui-executable in 'case/DATA/SaturneGUI' - so that's the one you found :)

Salomé does not support Ensight - ParaView supports that; I use that for CFD. Seems very strange that you get no result in MED file format - are there any error messages? Was MED properly found when you compiled?

Post all you want about CS here, the official CS forum is still draggin along :)

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

• Matthew Bondy
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #3401 by Matthew Bondy
Replied by Matthew Bondy on topic Re:code saturne
There were no error messages that I could find. The ensight results look to be there but I will try to do what I can with them in paraview. What is meant by 'Was MED properly found when you compiled?'?

I might post something in the wiki today. At the very least I think it is a decent tutorial on meshing. This is the first Fluent tutorial from Cornell and is pretty basic so the solver is barely worth mentioning (but its in the tutorial I am putting together). It is laminar flow through a 2D cross section of a pipe.

courses.cit.cornell.edu/fluent/

I suspect I will need to do some post processing in Octave to get the results that Fluent can just spit out. Any suggestions in that regard? I would prefer to do any calculation with Octave but I have no idea if it will accept MED, etc. files. A quick search on google did not turn up any promising links.

Thanks,
- Matt Bondy

• Matthew Bondy
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #3406 by Matthew Bondy
I dont know what to do next. I have tried varying every relevant looking option but I dont seem to get any results. I also did the tutorial with the step and did not get results. With both problems the cpu does something for a fair amount of time and the log files dont show any problems. I tried using paraview to look at ensight gold results but the file will not open. The error message doesnt contain anything meaningful as far as I can tell but then again I have no idea what I am doing.<br /><br />Post edited by: Matthew Bondy, at: 2009/08/29 04:55

More
14 years 7 months ago #3407 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:code saturne

The first place to look for errors. is in the ~/temp_saturne in the 'listings' file - now I know this from CS 1.3.3 but haven't tried the new 2.beta yet.

/C

...except from the console where you launched it of course ;) - there are no errors shown?

Seems it dies before it launches the preprocessor.

Someone else have to tune in here.<br /><br />Post edited by: Claus, at: 2009/08/29 21:47

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

• Matthew Bondy
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #3408 by Matthew Bondy
Edit: this should probably be disregarded because this listing file is an odd duck. Every other one is more like the one I have posted on the next page.

I have attached the listing file from the step tutorial.

Attachment listing.zip not found

<br /><br />Post edited by: Matthew Bondy, at: 2009/08/30 04:19
Attachments:

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds