Please help me with a car project.

• Tommi P. Laiho
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #7152 by Tommi P. Laiho
Please help me with a car project. was created by Tommi P. Laiho
Hello to all,

I just installed CAE Linux and have done my first pipe tutorials successfully.. Very nice package of software this CAE Linux is.

Anyway I would like to design a car for a car design contest for the year 2014. The car should be a mesh model
made with Blender and only with open source free software. I have few following questions related to my project:

1. How does Blender co-operate with Salome and OpenFOAM? If I export - say the car - as a .stl mesh can I use
Catmull - Clark subdivide tool to make the mesh more smooth? The file should be first made with a Blender and then
imported to Salome for .med transfare and I would like to know will it work at all? What are the chances that the file transfare will fail?

2. Can I use Saturne for this kind of wind tunnel test? I would like to use Saturne once it has a GUI which is nicer
than OpenFOAM GUI :-).

3. What kind of preprocessing I should I do for this kind of .stl file in Salome before it works in OpenFOAM or Saturne?

4. Does anybody know a good tutorial for Saturne or OpenFOAM for this kind of wind tunnel test? As you can see from my questions I am
novice and I do not have an engineering background but I am industrial designer by my education. However I see this
CFD as an interesting challenge and I would like to learn a lot about it.

As a consequence I would like to create a design which looks good but is also aero-dynamical. Please help me and thanks in advance.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Tommi P. Laiho.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tommi P. Laiho
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #7161 by Tommi P. Laiho
Replied by Tommi P. Laiho on topic Re: Please help me with a car project.
Hello all,

Here is my first attempt to make a simulation of the sportscar in a windtunnel.

Salome and .med file I can send via email of the windtunnel and the sportscar if you are really interested.

The car is made in Blender and its should be quite a solid modeling.

But Saturne gives me a following warning below.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong here. I am a novice
to CFD so my mistake may be really simple.

/home/tomm
c
| Code_Sat
|
EC
MED 3
Reading
----
Date
Processo
Memory
Mesh fi
Mesh name
SIGSEGV signal (access to forbidden memory area) intercepted !
Call stack
1: 0x7f2231b532d9 (libc.so.6)
2: 0x7f223247cb6d (libhdf5.so.7)
3: 0x7f2232642a95 (libhdf5.so.7)
4: 0x7f223247c0e0 (libhdf5.so.7)
5: 0x7f223248bbbc (libhdf5.so.7)
6: 0x7f223248c3ed (libhdf5.so.7)
7: 0x7f223247bd8d (libhdf5.so.7)
8: 0x7f2232487e8b (libhdf5.so.7)
9: 0x7f22324882f7 (libhdf5.so.7)
10: 0x7f22321d8104 (libmedC.so.1)
11: 0x7f223217a6ce (libmedC.so.1)
12: 0x7f223215088d (libmedC.so.1)
13: 0x7f223214694d (libmedC.so.1)
14: 0x4304e6 (cs_preprocess)
15: 0x40ebeb (cs_preprocess)
16: 0x409fd0 (cs_preprocess)
17: 0x7f2231ae9c4d (libc.so.6)
18: 0x404209 (cs_preprocess)
End of stack
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Tommi P. Laiho.

• Tommi P. Laiho
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago #7163 by Tommi P. Laiho
Ok...

I noticed that it is best not to use too heavy files...so I simplified the car a lot. That helped, my .stl file was buggy.

Anyway now I have a result like this, and it still says this Saturne that preprosessing is somwhow wrong.

/opt/saturne-2.0.2/cs-2.0/bin/cs_preprocess --mesh TheSportscar3.med --case
SAFDG

| |
| Code_Saturne Preprocessor |
| |
`
'

ECS version 2.0.2 (Sat 01 Oct 2011 12:26:01 PM EEST)

CGNS 2.5.5 file format support
MED 3.0.3 (HDF5 1.8.7) file format support
Reading of compressed files ('.gz') with Zlib 1.2.3.3

Case configuration

Date : Fri 11 Oct 2013 02:16:38 AM EEST
System : Linux 2.6.32-52-generic
Machine : AMDFireGLPro
Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5420 @ 2.50GHz
Memory : 8188796
User : tommi2 (Tommi P. Laiho)
Directory : /home/tommi2/tmp_Saturne/46Y7J.SAFDG.10110216

Case name : SAFDG
Mesh file : TheSportscar3.med

Reading mesh from file in MED (EDF/CEA) format
Mesh file: TheSportscar3.med

Mesh name: Mesh_3

I wonder what is wrong. Please help and thanks in advance.

More
10 years 5 months ago #7166 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re: Please help me with a car project.

TommiPLaiho wrote: Hello to all,

I just installed CAE Linux and have done my first pipe tutorials successfully.. Very nice package of software this CAE Linux is.

Anyway I would like to design a car for a car design contest for the year 2014. The car should be a mesh model
made with Blender and only with open source free software. I have few following questions related to my project:

1. How does Blender co-operate with Salome and OpenFOAM? If I export - say the car - as a .stl mesh can I use
Catmull - Clark subdivide tool to make the mesh more smooth? The file should be first made with a Blender and then
imported to Salome for .med transfare and I would like to know will it work at all? What are the chances that the file transfare will fail?

2. Can I use Saturne for this kind of wind tunnel test? I would like to use Saturne once it has a GUI which is nicer
than OpenFOAM GUI :-).

3. What kind of preprocessing I should I do for this kind of .stl file in Salome before it works in OpenFOAM or Saturne?

4. Does anybody know a good tutorial for Saturne or OpenFOAM for this kind of wind tunnel test? As you can see from my questions I am
novice and I do not have an engineering background but I am industrial designer by my education. However I see this
CFD as an interesting challenge and I would like to learn a lot about it.

As a consequence I would like to create a design which looks good but is also aero-dynamical. Please help me and thanks in advance.

1. As far as I remember, Catmull-Clark subdivision in Blender is a modifier and you would probably have to apply the changes permanently before exporting the .stl file - it's been years since I've used Blender, so Im guessing here. Do all your work in Blender before exporting.
In Salomé you have to convert the .stl file to .igs format. This can be done with the following www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/350978230 - I just tested it with ver. 7.2 of Salome. Change the file path in the script to your file and load the script. This will generate an .igs file in /tmp or where ever you specify it.
Import the .igs in the GEOM modules and go about your normal business creating groups and meshing the file.

2. Saturne does not have a compressive fluid module (correct me if Im wrong), so Openfoam (*shutter*) is a better bet.

3. See above - create groups and export to a format either Code Saturne or Openfoam can read.

4. Search for tutorials on both Code Saturn and Openfoam - none spring to mind with me, but Im positive someone has done something like that with Openfoam.

Regards,

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tommi P. Laiho

• Tommi P. Laiho
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago #7171 by Tommi P. Laiho
Many thanks for your info.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #7209 by Matthew Bondy
Replied by Matthew Bondy on topic Re: Please help me with a car project.
I think the use of a compressible or incompressible flow solver is debatable for wind tunnel testing conditions. If the Mach number is greater than 1 a compressible solver should definitely be used but I seem to recall that it is recommended even when the Mach number is lower. One consideration would be whether this Mach number assessment is performed at a location like the inlet where the peak velocity is known but higher velocities will almost surely be observed elsewhere in the model. Therefore a Mach number prediction at the inlet may underpredict this quantity. I am not very familiar with the use of compressible solvers so it may also be that the physical phenomenon of compressibility is significant at Mach numbers much less than 1.

Since the speed of sound in air is ~340 m/s the mach number at 100 km/h (~28 m/s) is fairly low (Ma = approx. 0.1).

OpenFOAM is a good choice since it will mesh 'automatically' (after proper definition of the mesh dictionary) using nothing more than an STL model of the car. There is even a tutorial for a motorcycle which should be fairly easy to adapt. I was not aware that Code Saturne can use a mesh of a boundary to generate a mesh of the fluid. Forgive me if I am mistaken as I do not follow CFD solver development very closely.

Motorcycle tutorial:
www.vespalabs.org/index.php?title=Projec...M_Motorbike_Tutorial
www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam/72124...orbike-tutorial.html

In CAELinux the files are by default in opt/openfoam***/tutorials/incompressible/simpleFoam/motorBike
They may also be in other folders perhaps for a separate tutorial on a different solver.

I have a couple of tutorials I am very slowly developing for OpenFOAM and Code Saturne:
www.caelinux.org/wiki/index.php/Contrib:BondMatt

Good luck and have fun!
- Matt
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Matthew Bondy.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds