External CAD model meshing

• Karol N.
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #5805 by Karol N.
External CAD model meshing was created by Karol N.
Hello All!

I am trying to use Salome to create a case for Code Aster. I want to mesh and analyze a pump casing model created in a commercial software, I have the casing in both .stp and .igs formats, but I find .stp + exploding to faces the easiest and fastest (computationally) method of getting the geometry.

The problem I encounter is with, I guess, importing the geometry into Salome. There are some small surfaces/short edges in the original model and when I use Shape Processing feature it modifies the geometry too heavily, so I don't want to use it (or don't know exactly how).

Now, is there a way to fix this problem, so the mesh could be generated? I mean something like vertices/edges ignoring, faces combining or so.

I am trying to use tetrahedrons with different meshing algorithms and I get a number of different errors, e.g. "Unexpected number of points on wire" or "Too few segments", "Error in triangulation"...

I am looking forward to any suggestions.

Best regards to everyone!
Karol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5905 by Kamil Gul
Replied by Kamil Gul on topic Re:External CAD model meshing
Hi Karol,

I gave up that kind of effort long time ago. But I can suggest to import geometry as step file and only wires. Then you can close the wires by salome, creating shells, then solids.

Alternatively, you can import meshed structure directely in Salome. And picking BC sites manually or defining them through .comm file with CREA_MAILLAGE and DEFI_GROUPS commands.

I can only offer that. If you want post the geom file here. I ll take a try but It's Sunday and I can only look into that next saturday:))

Regards,

Kamil

• Karol N.
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 4 months ago #5930 by Karol N.
Replied by Karol N. on topic Re:External CAD model meshing
Hi Kamil,

Thanks for your advices, unfortunately this approach doesn't work either, alongside my trials with combining lines or faces, partitioning, creating lines...
I don't think I could publish or share the geometry, I guess that could be treated as unauthorized design disclosure.
Manually picked BC sites are also not suitable since the regions are just too big and complex...

Anyhow, thanks again for your remarks. When I approach some kind of improvement here I will post a description here.

Regards,
Karol

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds