include face names in stl export

• Pei-Ying Hsieh
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 7 months ago #5723 by Pei-Ying Hsieh
include face names in stl export was created by Pei-Ying Hsieh
Hi,

I am wondering if there is any OSS that can import stp/igs file, assign names to all surfaces, then, mesh the surfaces, and finally export the surface mesh to stl format with the surface names included.

I am planning to use snappyHexMesh in OpenFOAM. surface names in stl will allow me to have boundary patch names when snappyHexMesh is done.

I just tried netgen, it can mesh the surfaces, but, I cannot find a way to assign names to the external surfaces, then, export to stl format.

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #5724 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:include face names in stl export
Good question.. I am also interested..

In my opinion, the main limitation seems to be that very few software manage named regions in stl export. A good method would be to generate a surface mesh from the cad model (Salome or gmsh) and then export the mesh in a common mesh format and then convert it to stl.

If you look at the UNV2X python code (on the wiki), you will probably be able to write an Unv2Stl mesh converter. The stl format is really simple, and you only have to deal with triangles,so it may help

Else, maybe using Openfoam mesh tools you may import an Unv to a polymesh and then generate an stl with labels...

Let me know if you find a good option.

Joel

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

More
7 years 9 months ago #8698 by Sander Vermeeren
Replied by Sander Vermeeren on topic Re: include face names in stl export
Is your problem already solved?

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds