Shell Tutorial Question

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #5441 by Zamir
Shell Tutorial Question was created by Zamir
Hello All,

I am liking CAELinux more and more as I use it. I have a question about the shell tutorial posted here at the CAELinux website.

In the geometry module, there is a sewing operation that sews all faces in the step file model together in one command. I am unable to recreate this behavior. Is there any documentation availble which would detail the steps required to reproduce this behavior?

Some thing I notice: The step file is exploded into its faces and the sewing operation acts on each face, but it seems I cannot select multiple faces in the "sewing" dialogue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your great work.

Zamir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #5446 by Zamir
Replied by Zamir on topic Re:Shell Tutorial Question
I got this question sorted out. I can successfully reproduce the modal.hdf tutorial. This leads me to some broader questions about meshing strategy.

I usually work with large shell structures. When I export surfaces models in stp or igs from solidworks or ansys design modeler, surfaces are exported without imprinted lines which serve as references so that meshes can conform over intersecting surfaces. Because of this, I think I have to use the partition command to re-establish those imprints. I do this successfully, but when it comes time to mesh, I cannot generate a successful conforming mesh.

So the questions is, which meshing algorithm should I be using for complicated conforming mesh shell structures? Or should I be using a different mesher in CAElinux altogether?

Thank you!
Zamir

More
13 years 1 week ago #5447 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:Shell Tutorial Question
I cannot give you a fully qualified answer so instead I'll send you this way :)

docs.salome-platform.org/salome_5_1_5/smesh/user/index.html

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

More
13 years 1 week ago #5450 by Zamir
Replied by Zamir on topic Re:Shell Tutorial Question
Thanks.

Yeah I've been scouring the help files a lot over the past several days. I will try to put together document that may help others in meshing shelled structures once I get this figured out.

Zamir

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds