Need help in meshing a simple plate

More
13 years 6 months ago #4638 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic Re:Need help in meshing a simple plate
I have a couple of beginner meshing questions along this theme.
i)I want to mesh a rectangular face with 4 elements by 8 elements. I explode the face to wires first and then mesh the long edge into 8 elements. Then I choose quadrangle meshing for the face, with number of segments set to 4 - but this gives me a 4x4 mesh. How can the edge be meshed with 8 elements while the face has only 4?
ii)I also have an adjoining face I want to mesh with quadrangles, but the generated mesh does not respect the adjoining mesh, ie it has different numbers of elements along the common edge. Do I need to fuse the faces first or something like that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #4665 by theCapitain
Replied by theCapitain on topic Re:Need help in meshing a simple plate
My advices (I'm not very experienced with Salome):
i) first realize the 4x4 mesh selecting the face and assigning the hypothesis by means of the automatic hexahedralization, wich will ask you for the number of subdivisions. Then create a submesh on two opposite sides (previously exploded in geometry module) with the 1D algorithm "wire discretisation" and the Hypothesis "Nr. Segments" (to be set to 8).
ii) I don't think is a good idea using incompatible mesh on a continuous. Anyway, if you really want, I think you should realize the meshes on two separated faces and the connect them with code aster by the key word LIAISON_MAIL from the command AFFE_CHAR_MECA.<br /><br />Post edited by: theCapitain, at: 2010/09/03 17:49

More
13 years 6 months ago #4669 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic Re:Need help in meshing a simple plate
Thanks el Capitain, I had overlooked the submesh command, I see now it really is like mesh refinement.
Regarding my second query I think there is a little misunderstanding, I want the mesh to be connected, but Salome does not connect the mesh together at the edges. I think the simplest way is to fuse the two objects beforehand and mesh the fused component in one go.
However more generally speaking, if I have a regular component like a pipe or plate with an attached irregular-shaped lug, I want a nice hexahedral mesh on the pipe, and tetrahedrals on the lug. I must mesh the two components individually to get this, and even if I fuse them first and explode the fuse into its faces for meshing, the resulting meshes are not compatible at the common edges. I have since discovered how to achieve this using a submesh of the target component and using 'projection 1D' from the source edge but it is a slow process, especially if there are multiple adjoining edges. Maybe there is an easier way?

More
13 years 6 months ago #4676 by theCapitain
Replied by theCapitain on topic Re:Need help in meshing a simple plate
Hi,
now it's clear, I can tell you my way: no guarantee that is the best way (I'm almost sure it isn't), nor it's very fast. Maybe some guys here can give us other, more effective, suggestions.
I've found out that Salome generates shared nodes on adjacent solids obtained by partitioning if they were meshed simultaneously. So I would first mesh both pipe and lug with tetrahedrons then, working with submeshes and other geometry partitions, I'd try to map the pipe. First with a mapped submesh on the common face then working on pipe edges … I hope that helps
Regards<br /><br />Post edited by: theCapitain, at: 2010/09/07 09:17

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds