mid surface extraction

More
14 years 7 months ago #3438 by Lax
mid surface extraction was created by Lax
Dear experts,
This post is regarding converting a 3D model into a 2D model by extracting the mid surface of the 3D.

I have a 3D model which was created in Solidworks and exported as step file. This step file was imported into Salome GEOM. Is there any way to extract the middle surface from a 3D model?

or is there a way to convert this 3D model to 2D so I can do s simple plane stress analysis instead of doing 3D analysis? Doing 3D would be a waste of time and resources and is just a overkill for my problem.

For example, assume I have a block 100*100*10mm in 3D and I want 100*100mm surface (in 2D).

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions,
Cheers,
Lax<br /><br />Post edited by: Lax, at: 2009/09/09 08:19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #3473 by Johnny Geling
Replied by Johnny Geling on topic Re:mid surface extraction
It would be nice to have such a command.

Isn't it possible to create the midsurface with solidworks?

Johnny

More
14 years 6 months ago #3475 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:mid surface extraction
Create at plane in the geo. module where you want you section, go to operations-&gt; boolean-&gt; common and select the plane and your model - the resulting 'common' will be you slice.

Try that :)<br /><br />Post edited by: Claus, at: 2009/09/23 17:58

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

More
14 years 6 months ago #3476 by Lax
Replied by Lax on topic Re:mid surface extraction
Dear Johnny,
Thanks for that. I am not able to create surfaces in solidworks and cant export it as step! If you knew a way please let me know. I will be happy to try.

Dear Claus,
Thats a really cool idea! I am sure it works. You a legend mate! it is better than all my solutions I have found till now :)

If the geometry is simple and the block is not uneven I dont need mid surface. I can use one of the surfaces (either top or bottom) which I extract using one of the two ways below:

1. explode the 3D and use one of the surfaces for further analysis

2. If the geometry is still simple but has protrusions, then the above technique will not work. I mean it will be cumbersome. In this case, create a group of that top or bottom surface alone and work on that surface ie mesh and analyse that one surface alone.

But I guess Claus's technique is much elegant than mine :D

hmmmm! ok now, I am just thinking off the topic. My geometry is simple. so your technique will work. What if you had a curved bar with rectangular cross section in 3D and want the mid surface. any ideas??

Anyway I am happy atleast I am able to fix my problem for now!!

Thanks again Johnny and Claus!
Cheers
Lax

Post edited by: Lax, at: 2009/09/24 10:59<br /><br />Post edited by: Lax, at: 2009/09/24 11:00

More
14 years 6 months ago #3477 by Johnny Geling
Replied by Johnny Geling on topic Re:mid surface extraction
with solidworks you can construct mid surfaces with Insert -&gt; Surface -&gt; MidSurface.

Such a command would be useful in Salome as well.

Johnny

More
14 years 6 months ago #3485 by Lax
Replied by Lax on topic Re:mid surface extraction
Now thats a good solution. I can extract the mid surface in soliworks and then export as step.

Thanks Johnny for the elegant solution.

Cheers
Lax

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds