Help on USB install

• Alex Quinlan
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #5014 by Alex Quinlan
Help on USB install was created by Alex Quinlan
Hi. I'm trying to install CAELinux2010 on my Lenovo W510 Thinkpad. The machine is only about a month old.

I downloaded the ISO, and checked it with md5sums. I couldn't get any DVD's to burn well (I think that was my fault), so tried to put it on a USB drive.

I have an 8 GB SanDisk Cruzer (I bought it yesterday) and I used UNetbootin to put the ISO on the USB.

When I boot up, the menu shows up and I use the default setting. The Ubuntu logo displays, with the loading dots moving. After a couple minutes of this, the screen displays:

[code:1]BusyBox V1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu1) built in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs)Unable to find a medium containing a live file system[/code:1]

If I type help, it displays some basic commands (i.e. ls, cd, mkdir)
the " (initramfs) " is the command prompt.

I've used Ubuntu a bit, but I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this. I tried to look around the file system, but I don't know exactly where to go or what to look for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Alex

P.S.
I don't really need the "LiveUSB", I just want to install the OS. I'm pretty confident that it will work well for my needs. If you can think of another way for me to install this, let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5040 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:Help on USB install
Have a look here:
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1332782

Two solutions are presented: type 'exit' when the error appears - perhaps twice even.

Try a different usb port - your laptop might be a 'leftie' or a 'rightie' regardless of how ridiculous that sounds to me :)

Teh Google sez a lot about "(initramfs)Unable to find a medium containing a live file system" - have a look.

Otherwise come back here :)

Regards,

Claus

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds