CAE 2008

More
14 years 3 months ago #3717 by MT
CAE 2008 was created by MT
Hello All...

I am attempting to install CAELinux 2008 but i seem to be getting a kernel error. I checked the MD5sum and it was verified. After burning the DVD and putting it into the computer it got hung up and flashed the caps lock and scroll lock lights... Is there something wrong with the .iso i downloaded? I downloaded it several times and checked the sum and it was all ok. I am trying CAELinux 2007 and all seems fine. Is there any way to fix this?

MT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #3719 by Matthew Bondy
Replied by Matthew Bondy on topic Re:CAE 2008
By CAE 2008 do you mean the Ubuntu based version of CAELinux? That version requires 64bit cpus. Thats the only suggestion I have (I am certainly not an expert on such matters). I dont know how to absolutely identify 64bit processors but one indicator would be a 64bit operating system from the factory. This area of the forum is probably not visited as much. If no one else responds you might have better luck posting in the operating system section.

Best of luck,
- Matt Bondy<br /><br />Post edited by: Matthew Bondy, at: 2010/01/08 05:54

More
14 years 3 months ago #3744 by MT
Replied by MT on topic Re:CAE 2008
By CAE 2008 I mean the PClinuxOS version. It is located here:

caelinux.com/CMS/index.php?option=com_co...;id=45&Itemid=40

I am running a single core 32 bit pentium 4 processor. I am still having the issue with that version. The scroll lock and caps lock lights blink and when i do a verification of the iso it fails eventhough the md5 of the iso is verified.

Any ideas about this??

More
14 years 3 months ago #3745 by MT
Replied by MT on topic Re:CAE 2008
I think i figured out what the issue is but don't know how to fix it... i tested the dvd for CAELinux2008 in another computer and the cd was fine... but when i put it into the computer i wanted to install on it got hung up during the check with the blinking scroll lock and caps lock lights.

I am trying to install this on a dell inspiron 1100... is there a work around for this??

Thanks for your help!

MT

More
14 years 3 months ago #3746 by Matthew Bondy
Replied by Matthew Bondy on topic Re:CAE 2008
I forgot there was an 08 CAELinux release. For some reason I thought there was a jump from 07 to 09.

The PCLinux forum is full of very helpful people. Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) that distro is a rolling release and the OS in CAELinux08 hardly represents what they are working with right now. I was using CAELinux08 for a while then I switched to 09 and then I went back to 08 on a second computer. I went through their initial transition from 08-09 (I guess it was 07-09, they didnt really have a big update in 08). I was never able to update PCLinux on the second computer. What Ive been meaning to get to is their forums have been updated significantly as their OS evolved so I dont think you will find any old posts. However, I suspect someone can help you if you start a new thread. Checking the installation media was a very good idea.

It was PCLinux evolution from 07-09 that made me think there was no CAELinux 08.

I think flashing keyboard lights usually indicates a pretty significant error (kernel error?).

A while back I proposed that if someone out there has an updated PCLinux based CAELinux it would be a very nice addition to what is offered on this site. The one big update I experienced with PCLinux made a world of difference on my machine. I have been kicking myself for wiping out PCLinux (CAELinux 08 updated) and replaced it with Ubuntu (CAELinux 09) without backing it up. I spent some time trying to update the second machine but there had been so many updates by that time that I would run into package dependency issues.

Best regards,
- Matt Bondy<br /><br />Post edited by: Matthew Bondy, at: 2010/01/17 06:51

More
14 years 3 months ago #3747 by Alessandro
Replied by Alessandro on topic Re:CAE 2008
MT wrote:

I think i figured out what the issue is but don't know how to fix it... i tested the dvd for CAELinux2008 in another computer and the cd was fine... but when i put it into the computer i wanted to install on it got hung up during the check with the blinking scroll lock and caps lock lights.

I am trying to install this on a dell inspiron 1100... is there a work around for this??

Thanks for your help!

MT

It could an incompatibility between pclinuxos and your pc. Try to boot with the option &quot;acpi=off&quot;. Try to update your bios if you are confident on yourself (it is a little bit dangerous operation).

About caelinux 2008: I remember it was possible to upgrade the pclinuxos operating system without loosing the functionality of caelinux programs.
Btw, my suggestion is to switch to a more modern distribution (evene a more recent realease of PcLinuxOs if you like it) and download and install Salome-Meca 2009, if you need Salome and Code-Aster only.

Just pay attention if a recent linux distribution fully supports your video card, since Salome requires a full support to OpenGl to work properly (Opensource drivers sometimes are not enough for this, and you need to install propietary drivers).<br /><br />Post edited by: Alessandro, at: 2010/01/17 13:16

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds