Trouble switching between modules in Salome-Meca

• Ryan Gehmlich
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 1 month ago #1793 by Ryan Gehmlich
I am new to Linux and FEA, and am looking for a solution to a thermal analysis I need to do. Salome Meca and Code-Aster seem perfect. I installed Innotek's Virtualbox in XP, with Ubuntu 7.10 and the latest version of Salome-Meca. Everything installed just fine with no problems and I can start Salome-Meca, but if I try to switch between modules (from Geometry to meshing for example), I get this flash of a black screen of death which displays this cryptic (to me) message:

*Starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron
*Starting deferred execution scheduler atd
*Starting periodic command scheduler crond
*Checking battery state...
*Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)

and then I am suddenly back at the ubuntu login screen.

Is this just telling me that linux crashed and is restarting?

Any ideas why? I can use all the modules, I just have to exit salome first.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #1795 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:Trouble switching between modules in Salome-Meca
Hello,

this is due to a bug/compatibility problem between Salome and the free OpenGL library MESA v7.xx. Salome works fine with MESA v6.5 or Nvidia/ATI proprietary OpenGL routines, but not with the latest MESA libs used by most of the Xorg drivers.

To solve the issue in a Virtual Machine environment, you would need to use an older Linux distro => Why wouldn't you try to use CAELinux VMWare's edition? It should work fine out of the box!

Regards

Joel Cugnoni
www.caelinux.com

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

• Ryan Gehmlich
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 1 month ago #1797 by Ryan Gehmlich
Replied by Ryan Gehmlich on topic Re:Trouble switching between modules in Salome-Meca
I tried the VMware edition, and other than being painfully slow compared to Ubuntu in Virtualbox, it worked... until I tried to run Salome. It would start to load, but fail before the splash screen even came up, saying that it couldn't find SalomeApp.xml. Any way that I have tried to load the CAELinux package onto my computer (liveDVD or through virtualization in windows), the PCLinux OS has booted, but Salome has not worked. I have tried both the liveDVD download and the VMware download, and both seem to fail at the same point when I start Salome.

I think I may just go back to the way I was doing it but with an older version of Ubuntu unless you have other ideas...

Speaking of which, how do I find out which Linux releases have which MESA version? I would like to use an earlier version of Ubuntu, but I am not sure how far back I have to go to get a compatible version.

Thanks

UPDATE: I went back to Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and the problem is solved. I think I'm finally in business...

Post edited by: Ryan Gehmlich, at: 2008/03/06 05:33<br /><br />Post edited by: Ryan Gehmlich, at: 2008/03/06 09:11

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds