Glyphs and streamlines in ParaView 3.8 for CS results

• CAVT
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #4673 by CAVT
Hello to everybody.
I've made a run in C_S of a 2D problem, laminar unsteady flow with a fairly coarse mesh (less than 5000 elements) just to try C_ capabilities. I exported the result in Ensight format so I used Paraview 3.8 to postprocess. I'm able to see without problems pressure and velocity as scalar maps, but I'm interested in displaying streamlines or vectors as well, and I cannot figure out how to do it.
The glyph icon is clickable, but when I slect it it doesn't show me any vector or scalar property to select, so no matter if I acept the input, I'm not getting any glyphs. With the streamline icon it's even stranger, as it is greyed thus not allowing not even to be clicked. The same happens with the isosurface button. The C_S version I used is the newest 2.0.
I tried following a tutorial where it indicated that a new vector should be created with the calculator filter, and I did by taking only the X and Y components of velocity, but again the glyph option does not allow me to select any data set. Any help on this will be much preciated.
Also, as the mesh was small I made 1000 iterations with a 0.01s timestep (took only 10 mins), but I'm only able to see the results every 1 second (0,1,2,3,4,...) despite I checked in C_S to postprocess every 5 steps (or at each one, but anyway, it's much more than only 10). How may I display an animation including all the postprocessed timesteps? The postprocess files for each dataset are indeed more than 10, so the postprocess data was indeed created I think.

Thank you in advance.

César

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4674 by florante
try this.

1. select your case(CHR.case)
2. filter>alphabetical>cell data to point data
3. select CellDatatoPointdata1
4. Now click the the glyph icon . you may need to uncheck the CHR.case and CellDataToPointData1 to see the arrows
5. To create stream line, select again the CellDataToPointData1
6.Click on the the Stream Line Icon.

See if this works for you.

Florante

More
13 years 7 months ago #4675 by florante
About the time step, in paraview there are two numbers that you will see next to the Time label. The first one is the time step, this is grayed. the second one with up/down buttons is the number of time steps. In some cases, they are the same but not on some cases, depending on the time step you specify. You can advance or back track the number of time step but not the time step itself.

• CAVT
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #4678 by CAVT
Great, it works for the streamlines, but not for the glyphs, maybe I need o check some other things, so I'll keep trying. You were very helpful, thank you.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4681 by florante
Great.
You may need to adjust the glyph sizes in the glyph properties. Sometimes they are too small to see depending upon the result.

Florante

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds