Nonlinear spring link

• Michal
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #8009 by Michal
Nonlinear spring link was created by Michal
Hello,

I would like to model two timbers connected with a nail whilst taking the system past critical load (large deformations?). The intention was to model:
  1. the timbers as 3D solids with contact elements to prevent interpenetration and allow separation
  2. the nail as line element with properties obtained from test. I have full load-slip diagram (that is obviously non linear)

The contact part is fine.
The variable stiffness spring is not. Currently I am trying to use barre element and nonlinear material (load-slip diagram converted to stress-strain). Ideally I would like to refrain from using the real nail geometry/section and assume only shear and tension on the nail (no compression - this shall be transferred by contact)

What is the CA way of modelling this?

My apologies to bug you with this, I have been looking for an answer in the CA docs for quite some time. Could you please point me to the right direction?

Many thanks
Michal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #8010 by RichardS
Replied by RichardS on topic Re: Nonlinear spring link
Hello,

recently I stumblede across a paper where the modelling of wooden structures which are connected with nails is described.
They used Code_Aster, so this might help you:
www.naun.org/main/NAUN/energyenvironment/2011-101.pdf

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Richard

SimScale - Engineering Simulation in your browser!

• Michal
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #8012 by Michal
Replied by Michal on topic Re: Nonlinear spring link
Hello Richard,
thank you for the hint and link. The approach they took was to use DIS_ECRO_CINE which only simulates bi-linear behavior I think rather than curve.
Any other suggestions / example?
Michal

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #8013 by RichardS
Replied by RichardS on topic Re: Nonlinear spring link
I'm sorry,
I am not really an expert in dicrete element modelling with Code-Aster, perhaps you should ask that question directly in the Code-Aster forum: www.code-aster.org/forum2/

If you are using CAELinux, you could also try CalCuliX, which seems to have nonlinear spring elements defined directly as you want: web.mit.edu/calculix_v2.7/CalculiX/ccx_2.7/doc/ccx/node242.html

I'm not sure, but I think you could also model a nonlinear spring on Code-Aster by couple multiple springs with different stiffnesses.

Best regards,
Richard

SimScale - Engineering Simulation in your browser!

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds