Rotating Shafts

• Torsten Sadowski
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 4 months ago #126 by Torsten Sadowski
Rotating Shafts was created by Torsten Sadowski
Hi,

is it possible to use code-aster to model rotating shafts with gyroscopic effects? I'm sure EDF has turbines and those turbines have eigenmode problems which might require modal and transient analysis.

Any hints where to start?

Cheers, Torsten

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #131 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Rotating Shafts
Hi,

I am sorry, it seems that EDF buys its turbines, as there are no available model for gyroscopic effects in Code-Aster...

As there is already a quadratic eigenvalue solver in CA, maybe it could be possible to play with matrices to create a Gyroscopic matrix to circumvent the problem... maybe... but this could be also a very interesting development (for example, a 2D axisym gyroscopic element)

• asterminator
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #132 by asterminator
Replied by asterminator on topic Re:Rotating Shafts
hi,

is the keyword \"ROTATION\" (in the \"AFFE_CHAR_MECA\" command) not usefull to model the \"gyroscopic effect\" ? The formula given page 15 of the doc U4.44.01 seems to match my old memory of what this effect was...

AM

• admin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #133 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Rotating Shafts
Hi,

there are several effects when solving problems for rotating machines:
- the centrifugal acceleration, which is defined by the ROTATION option in AFFE_CHAR_MECA
- but also, when the diameter of the rotating shaft is relatively important, the Coriolis effects may have a non negligible influence, which can be described by an anti-symmetric gyroscopic \"stiffness\" matrix and yields to a quadratic eigenvalue problem.
To my knowledge, this second effect is not implemented in Aster yet.

• asterminator
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago #134 by asterminator
Replied by asterminator on topic Re:Rotating Shafts
i would have been very surprised if CA wasn't able to handle such problems (\"EDF seems to buy its turbines\"... \"buy\" implies that replacement isn't free...).

documentation of MODE_ITER_SIMULT (modal analysis), page 5, tells that this command is able to deal with \"dynamic stability of structures with viscous stiffness (and/or quadratic stiffness) and with gyroscopic effect\"

if something isn't clear enough in such studies, i suggest to ask your questions in the forum \"Utilisation de Code-Aster\" on www.code-aster.org (questions in english are welcome even though a large number of threads are in french).

AM

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds