Lighweight version proposal

• Mcgiwer
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 10 months ago #10004 by Mcgiwer
Lighweight version proposal was created by Mcgiwer
Hello. I would like to propose a more lighweight variant for CAELinux. Instead of using XUbuntu, I would like to propose building it from the LFS (Linux from Scratch) project, thru with the system would be more light and secure. As for the desktop, I consider in between LXDE and LXQt. After this base would be ready and properly configured (with is securiy critical thing), the tools of the current distro could be integrated.

What do you think about it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #10037 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Lighweight version proposal
Hello,
thanks for the suggestion. I am indeed fighting with the "growth" of each software packages and it happens that producing a remastered Ubuntu version is becoming increasingly difficult. I am also leaning towards lighter distributions. In my recent trials, I have found that the size of a functionnal system (with minimal apps) is not so different between LXQT, LXDE and XFCE. And I find XFCE a bit more polished and full featured to be honest.

The main challenge for me, as an individual without much free time, is to find a distribution that is reliable and offers a simple way of creating a remastered version. LFS would be the best approach to master every aspects, but it is way out of my league in terms of development time.

Currently I am evaluating MX Linux quite seriously as a lighter and less bloated base for the next release. It is based on Debian Stable and offers a nice "snapshot" utility to remaster an ISO from an installation...I find it quite nice and it seems very responsive and lightweight compared to Ubuntu.

Next challenge is to try to squeeze the CAE applications which are now growing out of control in terms of size (6GB compressed for SalomeMeca...).

Cheers

• Mcgiwer
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #10041 by Mcgiwer
Replied by Mcgiwer on topic Lighweight version proposal
Hello. I'm working myself in a creating a very light and secure (based on LFS) system base, so if you want then we could join forces in creating together a better solution then current one

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds