How Remove CAELinux?

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #6781 by Tom D
How Remove CAELinux? was created by Tom D
How would one go about removing CAELinux?

I'm just wondering in case I decide not to use it.

I have tried CAELinux from the disk, and now I'm installing it. This is the first time I'm trying any linux distro. I'm putting it on a 4 year old laptop with only 2GB or RAM and a 40GB hard drive, and I don't know if the computer will be up to running this version of linux well. It ran slowly from the disk, but I'm under the impression it will run faster from the hard drive.

PS: I hope I get notified via email of any responses to this thread. I didn't see a way to request that. I see I am subscribed to the thread. I don't know if a subscription includes notification.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Tom D. Reason: added PS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #6783 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re: How Remove CAELinux?
You install something else instead if you get fed up with CAELinux :) It shouldn't be a problem to simply overwrite it.

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

More
10 years 11 months ago #6787 by Julian Smith
Replied by Julian Smith on topic Re: How Remove CAELinux?
Assuming you opt to dual-boot with Ubuntu alongside Windows, the Ubuntu installation creates two non-Windows partitions on your hard disk (a big one and a small one). The standard Windows disk partitioning tool allows you to delete these but if you do that, alone, your machine will hang when you try to reboot saying something about "grub"!

I did that when I allowed Ubuntu to be upgraded to the latest version and nothing worked any more. I found I was able to do a complete reinstall from the CAELinux DVD! That also restored dual boot and saved my neck at the same time.

If you actually want to restore the PC to just being Windows and get your disk space back, you will also need to be able to restore it to booting properly. I didn't try that myself but you will certainly need a bootable Windows DVD to do this and many laptops, in particular, are not shipped with proper Windows distribution disks but only with disks that allow you to reinstall the system from scratch. Do the research first if you ever want to see another Windows login.

Usual warning: back up what you can't afford to lose before you start!

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #6791 by Tom D
Replied by Tom D on topic Re: How Remove CAELinux?

claws wrote: You install something else.... It shouldn't be a problem to simply overwrite it.

Thanks. That what I did (with Ubuntu), and it worked.

Julian Smith wrote: Assuming you opt to dual-boot with Ubuntu alongside Windows, the Ubuntu installation creates two non-Windows partitions on your hard disk (a big one and a small one)....

What goes into those non-Windows partitions? Is this the case for any Ubuntu variant?

Julian Smith wrote: If you actually want to restore the PC to just being Windows and get your disk space back, you will also need to be able to restore it to booting properly. ...you will certainly need a bootable Windows DVD to do this and many laptops, in particular, are not shipped with proper Windows distribution disks but only with disks that allow you to reinstall the system from scratch.

Where can one acquire a bootable Windows DVD?I just got a laptop that came with no OS installed and no disks, but it has a Windows operating system Certificate of Authenticity label. I think it might be for Vista, but I'm not sure. It's very worn--to the point where the serial numbers are unreadable.

Julian Smith wrote: Do the research first if you ever want to see another Windows login.

Is there some part of this process that makes reinstalling Windows in the future impossible?
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Tom D.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds