Error creating child process

• Steven
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #5841 by Steven
Error creating child process was created by Steven
I just recently installed CAELinux 2011 on a Virtual Box virtual machine and have been loving it but I've run into a problem that has me stopped from really using it. Every time I try to run the Code-Saturne wizard I get an error pop-up on the terminal which says:

"There was an error creating the child process for this terminal"

I've searched elsewhere for a solution and have found a few different answers but none of them have worked for me. In most cases it sounds like the users get this error when they can't use the terminal at all, I can open one up just fine in every case except for using the Saturne wizard. Some solutions I've found and already tried without success are: adding myself to the tty user group and moving the mountdevsubfs.sh file in /etc/init.d folder.

I'm not a very experienced Linux user so I might be missing something simple but I'm stuck at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steven
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #5848 by Steven
Replied by Steven on topic Re:Error creating child process
Well, I figured it out and the problem was more embarrassing than I hoped for:blush: . I was trying to reference the tutorial to run a study very similar to the Pipe case but with my own geometry. When I followed the tutorial exactly everything worked and it turns out that my only problem was that the name I created for my base directory had a space in it instead of a dash like used in the "CFD-Saturne" folder in the video.

More
12 years 5 months ago #5850 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:Error creating child process
Hi Steven,

yes, you are right, filenames and folder names should not contains space or special characters, and the study folder, i.e 'base path/study name', must not exist before running the wizard.

Except that, could you tell me if it is working well for you?

Joel
aka admin

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

• Steven
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #5852 by Steven
Replied by Steven on topic Re:Error creating child process
Joel

Yes, everything seems to be working just fine. I ran my study all the way through solving and some post-processing using mostly default values in Saturne just to learn the steps.

Now that I know I can run the software I need to learn how to really use it. I'm a mechanical engineer who spends the majority of my time working with solid modeling and drawing creation with a little bit of FEA (all in SolidWorks). I took some CDF classes in college but haven't had the chance to apply any of it since graduation. I've found a few cases at my job where CFD could be very useful, but I would never be able to use it enough to justify the company buying a commercial CFD package. That's why I've been occasionally poking around on CAELinux since the 2009 release to try and teach myself some open source tools. Thanks so much for putting this distribution together, it looks like it will be a great asset to me when I finally learn how to take full advantage of it.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds