CAELinux2010:"Ubiquity closed unexpectedly" during installation

• Winston Wu
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4957 by Winston Wu
Hi!I'm a student in Beijing,and I have to thank you very much for the powerful tools provided in CAELinux!
But now there's a problem.I boot from the LiveDVD and try to install CAELinux 2010.The whole process seems to work fine until all files are copied to my harddisk.Then "Sorry,the program "ubiquity" closed unexpectedly",and the installation stopped.I have spent a whole afternoon on this.So annoying!
My laptop is a Lenovo Y450-TSI(T6600/4G/320G),and I use Brasero to burn the LiveDVD.
Thank you.Poor English ^ ^

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #4958 by Claus
I googled the problem a bit, and not much in the form of solutions turn up.
This thread seems to solve it for someone.
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1070394

Hows Beijing this time of the year? Still covered in *cough* sand from the Gobi? ;)

Regards,

Claus

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

• Winston Wu
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4959 by Winston Wu
Hi!^ ^
Thank u very much!I have successfully installed CAELinux into my laptop.:cheer: But...it seems that I have to add many "cn." to /etc/apt/sources.list because I really CAN'T stand the slow speed when upgrading!:dry: And now I am trying to update Ubuntu to 10.10 and add Chinese support for her.

PS:Beijing is much better than she was 8ys ago.^ ^<br /><br />Post edited by: Winston Wu, at: 2010/11/15 19:06

More
12 years 6 months ago #5786 by Phillip Toone
Winston Wu?! Holy cow, the internet is a small place after all. I've read about your adventures with FSUW. But this is not the place to discuss that. :lol:

I've been trying to install CAELinux2010 for about a year now with various problems. My first attempt was with the DVD on my home built 6-core, 64-bit desktop. It would boot the live DVD but would crash during installation to the hard drive without explanation. :( Yes, I was skeptical of the download/burn process so I created an ISO from the DVD and ran an md5sum of the file and it matched.

I abandoned hope of having a CAELinux2010 system until I got my new work laptop Samsung 900X. This laptop did not come with a DVD drive so I used UNetbootin to burn the iso to a usb device. Again, I was able to boot the CAELinux2010 live and start the installation process to the hard drive. This time, during installation, rather than crashing without explanation I would get the same &quot;Ubiquity closed unexpectedly&quot; error Winson has described here. Upon reboot I was surprised to see the computer boot directly into Windows 7 without invoking the GRUB menu. It seemed clear to me that the error had occurred before GRUB was installed.

This made me wonder if I could install GRUB via a new ubuntu install and modify the boot menu if necessary to load CAELinux2010. I used ubuntu 11.04 to make a live usb device because it was the latest release and I already had the iso downloaded. This worked to install ubuntu 11.04 onto the hard drive. I then tried again to install CAELinux2010 and got the same &quot;Ubiquity closed unexpectedly&quot; error. I removed the usb device and rebooted the system but rather than the GRUB menu the system booted into BusyBox. This made me aware of two things. First, I needed to create a separate partition for /boot. Second, I should probably be using ubuntu-10.04.3-desktop-amd64 found here:

releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu-10.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso

So here is the detailed description of how I got this to work.

- Download ubuntu-10.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso, check the md5sum, and install to a usb device using UNetbootin.
- Boot ubuntu live from the usb device and start the installation process with a separate /boot partition.
- Boot into the hard drive installation of ubuntu 10.04 from GRUB to ensure that everything went well. Success! :)
- Boot CAELinux2010 live from usb device and install over the top of the previous ubuntu installation leaving the /boot partition alone.
Note: This time I did not get the &quot;Ubiquity closed unexpectedly&quot; error.
- Try booting into the hard drive installation of CAELinux2010 from GRUB? YES! It worked! :woohoo: B)

I wrote this with three audiences in mind. First for myself when I try to install CAELinux2012 on another machine so that I can remember what I did. Second, for other poor souls who are getting this same &quot;Ubiquity closed unexpectedly&quot; error. And finally, to the author of CAELinux2012 so that he will be aware of this issue. Now I just need to learn to use all of these tools. I hope the tutorials are useful and well written. :unsure:<br /><br />Post edited by: Phillip Toone, at: 2011/10/12 02:02

More
12 years 5 months ago #5897 by JMB
Replied by JMB on topic Re:CAELinux2010:
Winston Wu wrote:

The whole process seems to work fine until all files are copied to my harddisk.Then &quot;Sorry,the program &quot;ubiquity&quot; closed unexpectedly&quot;,and the installation stopped.

Hello Winston Wu,

Hopefully you did NOT choose to encrypt your home directory when you tried to install CAELinux. If you did, then it is one known reason for ubiquity failing. Try it without encryption turned on.

Regards, JMB

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds