Dual booting CAElinux2010 with windows 7

• Wee-Beng TAY
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #4914 by Wee-Beng TAY
Dual booting CAElinux2010 with windows 7 was created by Wee-Beng TAY
Hi,

I am going to dual boot CAElinux2010 and win7.

I have read the install doc for CAElinux 2007 but I'm not sure if CAElinux 2010 is similar. Moreover, the install doc talks about winxp, not win7.

I already have a windows partition which I am going to use it with CAElinux. So how do I go about doing it? There's something about overwriting the boot sector and win7 will not boot anymore.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #4919 by Claus
I have both Win7 and Ubuntu 10.4 and there's no problem. During the installation of ubuntu (CAELinux), the installer will find and enter your win7 installation in the boot loader.

If you have a partition you'd like to use with CAELinux, you will have the option to format it for linux during the installation - it is really easy as pie :)

Regards,

Claus

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

• Wee-Beng TAY
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #4931 by Wee-Beng TAY
Replied by Wee-Beng TAY on topic Re:Dual booting CAElinux2010 with windows 7
Hi,

I tried to install caelinux and was given the option to install side by side my win7 on the same hdd. I wanted to install into an empty partition on one of my hdd (which contains 2 partitons) but it seems that I need to install erase the whole partition. Is that so?

And does it mean that after that, I will have the option to boot win7 and caelinux2010?

Thanks!

More
13 years 4 months ago #4932 by Claus
Have a look at e.g. this guide to installing ubuntu, psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing specifically this image: psychocats.net/ubuntu/images/installingmaverick05.png where you can specify which partition to install ubuntu (CAELinux) on.

Regards,

Claus

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

• Wee-Beng TAY
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #4933 by Wee-Beng TAY
Thanks Claus.

I look at your link. I have a similar screen when I tried to install caelinux. I was not able to install on a partition which I chose. I was told that I have to repartition it. That partition is on a different hdd from where win7 is residing.

Actually I can also erase that particular entire hdd but I will have to copy back quite a few gb of data. Another thing is that if I do that, can I still dual boot? win7 on 1 parition and caelinux on another partition of another hdd. I think that's my main concern cos I'm not using the recommended option.

Thanks!

• Wee-Beng TAY
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #4963 by Wee-Beng TAY
Finally give it a try and everything went fine!

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds