Harddisk-installation on LiveCD doesn't work (CAELinux 2010)

• Maximilian Perzinger
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4875 by Maximilian Perzinger
Hi,

first of all I have to thank you very much for this fine compilation of CAD and CAE-tools!

I have an USB-stick installation of CAELinux 2010 and I can boot from it on a DL 380 G4 without any problems and all programs work properly.

When I try to install CAELinux 2010 onto the harddisks (RAID5 on a HP SmartArray Controller) the whole process works fine until I come to the Advanced configuration mask in step 7: when I try to change the destination for the bootloader to "/dev/cciss/c0d0",the OK button greys out and I can't continue.

If I continue the installation without bootloader, the whole installation completes succesfully but when trying to boot from harddisk (started with the bootloader from USB-stick), the system crashes after loading the basic drivers.

A clean installation of Ubuntu 10.10 64bit works fine.

Has anyone experienced similiar problems?

Thank's for your reply in advance!

Maximilian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Maximilian Perzinger
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #4876 by Maximilian Perzinger
Replied by Maximilian Perzinger on topic Re:Harddisk-installation on LiveCD doesn't work (CAELinux 2010)
Hi again,
after reading more about the installing process I realized that it must be a problem with the ubiquity-installer.

I have also found a discussion web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/LLXmLpjVxOYCqFatSV7S about it but there seems to be no solution yet.

Regards

Maximilian

More
13 years 5 months ago #4877 by Joël Cugnoni
I had a similar problem on a Dell server and solved it using the LiveDVD instead of the USB media to install CAELinux.

Maybe this can work for you as well.

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

More
13 years 3 months ago #5157 by Bill
If your iMac is intel based, then yes:

You should be able to formally install linux two other ways. The first way is to create a Boot camp partition. See this link. To run Boot Camp requires a reboot of your machine and specifically select Boot Camp when it restarts. When you boot from Boot Camp you can not run OS X at the same time. You must reboot and select OS X to get back to the Mac environment.

The second method is to buy Parallels for the Mac. Parallels allows you to run OS X and a Parallels window at the same time.

The Mac OS X also comes with X11 on the install disk. This is a Unix shell.

Lastly, I think you can create a Boot Camp partition and point Parallels to that partition. That way you can run Linux either from Parallels or boot directly into Boot Camp and run Linux that way.

The advantage to Boot Camp is that intel based programs run at 100% speed. Parallels will slow things down a little because it must create a virtual environment for Linux to interface to.<br /><br />Post edited by: Bill, at: 2011/01/04 09:43

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 1.313 seconds