• Philippose Rajan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 11 months ago #391 by Philippose Rajan
LiveCD Hangs after boot-up was created by Philippose Rajan
Hello everyone,
Good day to you all!

I downloaded the Live DVD version of CAE Linux Beta 2 and burnt it onto a DVD+RW using Nero 6 (at 2.4X) and tried booting off the DVD on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1425 Laptop.

Everything starts off fine...DVD detected...a red screen with \"boot:\" at the bottom comes up. When I press enter at this point, the boot-up process starts, with the PCLinuxOS Graphical logo coming up...and the progress bar.

On pressing \"Esc\" to go into the verbose mode, everything seems to be \"ok\", with the only error being the lack of a floppy disk controller (from fstab)...my laptop has no floppy.

Once the base boot-up is done, the screen goes blank and X-Windows starts up...initially with the usual black \"X\" with a white border....which quickly changes to the animated Hour Glass.

The Hour Glass goes round and round for a while, after which the cursor changes to the pointer.

At this point....everything stops. I cannot move the mouse anymore...the keyboard does not respond (even Ctrl-Alt-Del)...and the screen freezes. The DVD is not read anymore, and my laptop fan speed increases.

I also tried \"livecd noacpi noapic nolapic\" to no avail. I even tried reburning the ISO image (after checking the MD5 Checksum of the ISO first).

Can someone help me out on this? Normally I use a dual boot of Fedora Core 5, and Windows XP. FC5 starts up and functions without any hitches.

Awaiting a reply!

Thanks in advance!

Philippose
More
17 years 11 months ago #406 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:LiveCD Hangs after boot-up
Hi,

I have heard of some problems with old ATI 128 graphic cards but not with very recent Radeon chips. The cause of this problem is not obvious to me as it seems that X starts successfully but something hangs just after... (WHAT??)

Maybe, you can try to specify another X driver with the boot option:

livecd xdrv=vesa

Sometimes, it is necessary to also use acpi=on or acpi=off or nosound option (the ALSA sound driver should start just after X server...and may hang).

For more hints, try to post on PCLinuxOs forums, there are a lot of highly skilled people there who know all the details of PCLinuxOs system:
www.pclinuxos.com

Good

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
  • Philippose Rajan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 11 months ago #422 by Philippose Rajan
Replied by Philippose Rajan on topic Re:LiveCD Hangs after boot-up
Hello again,
Thanks for the tip....you are right...I had checked up on the forums in the PCLinuxOS site, and found that there are problems with the new ATI Radeon and nVidia cards because of the hardware acceleration and OpenGL capabilities.

I was able to boot up into the system with the \"xdrv=xdev\" option, and then, when I try the display setup and choose the ATI Radeon driver with OpenGL support, the system hangs again. It works with the one of the 4 Radeon drivers though :-)

The problem with this is, that if I have to use the system, I need to boot in with the

\"xdrv=xdev\"

option each time, and then....since that is like a safemode, it goes into 640x480 screen resolution and the display goes over the boundaries of my monitor. Then I need to manually change the driver, and the resolution, and restart the X-System before I can do anything with the system.

Being a LiveCD, I am unable to save these changes and its just too painful to do this each time I boot into CAELinux.

Any suggestions (other than installing the whole thing onto harddisk :-) No space for that :-)!!)??

Have a wonderful day!

Regards,

Philippose
More
17 years 11 months ago #426 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:LiveCD Hangs after boot-up
Which driver did you found for your card?

And also did you try these options:

livecd xdrv=radeon xres=1024x768 xbpp=16 xram=16384

or even

livecd acpi=force xdrv=radeon xres=1024x768 xbpp=16

Hope this will help you in solving the problem

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
  • bernfrank
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago #543 by bernfrank
Replied by bernfrank on topic Re:LiveCD Hangs after boot-up
I have had similar probs on a Gericom laptop.

Typing 'livecd xdrv=vesa' on the boot prompt gives me a full desktop with no problem exept the screen res is 1024x865 ish.
But you can reset the screen res and logout of root and login again (DO NOT REBOOT) then it comes out fine.

Good luck

Bernfrank
  • bernfrank
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago #544 by bernfrank
Replied by bernfrank on topic Re:LiveCD Hangs after boot-up
I have had similar probs on a Gericom laptop.

Typing 'livecd xdrv=vesa' on the boot prompt gives me a full desktop with no problem exept the screen res is 1024x865 ish.
But you can reset the screen res and logout of root and login again (DO NOT REBOOT) then it comes out fine.

Good luck

Bernfrank
Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds