How long dose it take to boot?

• richard mathie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 11 months ago #353 by richard mathie
How long dose it take to boot? was created by richard mathie
how long dose this take to boot? i get all the way past the loading bar, and verbose mode, and then a comand line style log in is printed on the screen for no more than 5 seconds befor the screen gose blank then i get a curser which turns to an hour glass, then flips over and ove and over for longer than my paichence coud take! is it broke or am i wating for too short a time?

i all ready have windows and debian on the machine,(debian has a swap), do i need to clear more space for the live cd?

i have a intel pentium 4 (x86) with 1Gb ram

windows fails to recognise that any thing is on the DVD though there definatly is, i had a few problems durin download and burn ing the iso image, (~1600 Mb which is the right size) perhaps the burn program can no deal with images over a Gb

sorry for beeing a retard.
though this looks like it will be a fantastic package, when i get it running
thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 11 months ago #354 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:How long dose it take to boot?
Hi,

it is probably due to a bad ISO image or error in the burning. Try to check your ISO file with MD5Sum ( www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/ )
Place the exe in the same directory as CAELinux ISO and then
run on a command line \"md5sums.exe CAELinuxBeta2.iso\".

You should get a MD5sum equal to

63e476c6e933565e5d8b936b6c63c52e

If not, it means your file is corrupt!!

Good luck.

• richard mathie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 11 months ago #357 by richard mathie
Replied by richard mathie on topic Re:How long dose it take to boot?
hummmnnnn....i get the correct number so the file is ok, this means something else is up :S

though that just goes to show how geood firefox is, i got throtled during the down load by my college for exceeding my bandwidth!, i know i should have used my filezilla program to reduce the risk of faults,

is it normal that windows dosent register that there is any thing on the DVD? when ever i have burned iso images in the past i have been able to see the files, i did get a write error when the disk was finalising, what programs did you use to burn the disk?

• admin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 10 months ago #358 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:How long dose it take to boot?
No, it's not normal that you don't see anything in Windows explorer.

As the ISO seems OK, the only thing remaining is the burning / media: I usually use Nero 6 when running on Windows, with DVD+R or DVD-R media burned at 2.4x speed (my laptop's DVD drive tends to introduce errors at higher speeds...).

If you encounter random burning problems, maybe it could be wise to try with a DVD+/-RW first, so you don't waste a lot of write-once media...

• Richard Mathie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 10 months ago #359 by Richard Mathie
Replied by Richard Mathie on topic Re:How long dose it take to boot?
ah ha! it works now! yay and it loks really good :)

used a opensource iso burner off the internet in the end,it burned corectly and it checked the image unlike the burning softwere that came with the drive! tipical, and they say nothing comes for free

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds