Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

should I fight with pclinuxos or ?

More
15 years 2 months ago #2582 by Luke
Hi all I am new to all this but hope to get up to speed before long. I just got myself a new computer (Dell with an Intel quad core and 3 gigs of ram and am trying to get CAELinux to install. The live CD more or less works although it didn't play well with my on-board graphics card.(256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450) and monitor. Otherwise it seemed ok. Anyway I can't get pclinuxos to install on the hard drive. I have tried all sorts of things but dies when it tries to boot up. I imagine I could eventually figure it out but the question is should I run Ubuntu 8.10 which installs great,looks great and appears to function properly and try add the programs such as SALOME-MECA or should I keep fighting with the combined pclinuxos install?

At little background:
I work with PATRAN/NASTRAN and ABAQUS at work but want to learn some more stuff on my own at home and after I leave my current employer.I am particularly interested in transient thermal but will use general FEA as well.

Thanks
More
15 years 2 months ago #2583 by johannes ackva
Replied by johannes ackva on topic Re:should I fight with pclinuxos or ?
Hi Luke

may be Your problem is the same as mine described here?:

caelinux.com/CMS/index.php?option=com_jo...&catid=3#msg2385

Later I tried to get it solved in the PCLinuxOS Forum (where I am user jo):
www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_s...;u=6721;sa=showPosts

Until now, no success, I just wait for the next version of CAELinux which Joel announced to be based on Ubuntu:
caelinux.com/CMS/index.php?option=com_jo...t=6&limitstart=0
I hope there will be no problem with this.

If You don't like to spread time with installing, but are more interested to start now Code-Aster, I can reccomand You to use CAElinux in the VMWare-Player.

By the way, I too work with a lot with NASTRAN. My motivation and main use of Code-Aster are it's good nonlinear capabilities (compared to Nastran).

I wish You good success, best regards,

Johannes Ackva

D 91717 Wassertrüdingen

www.code-aster.de
More
15 years 2 months ago #2584 by Alessandro
Replied by Alessandro on topic Re:should I fight with pclinuxos or ?
Luke:

are you able to install another linux ditribution? If yes, you can download and install the Salome-Meca stand-alone package. I did it on a Slackware 12.0 without any problem.

I had a problem similar to your one on a samsung laptop, it was related to a problem regarding ACPI-bios and 2.6 linux kernel.
The only distribution working on that pc was Vectorlinux, a modified version of slackware dedicated especially to low-end pc.
More
15 years 2 months ago #2585 by Luke
Replied by Luke on topic Re:should I fight with pclinuxos or ?
Thanks folks.

I am using the virtual machine approach and I think that is working properly. I will work a tutorial or two and find out for sure. When the new version comes out I can hopefully do a proper install.

thanks

Luke<br /><br />Post edited by: Luke, at: 2009/02/07 19:57
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #2770 by Kristofor Jensen
Replied by Kristofor Jensen on topic Re:should I fight with pclinuxos or ?
I've installed salomemecha 2008 onto Fedora without any problem and used it for training.

Installation of salomemeca2009 went onto Fedora 10 without any problem but I haven't had time to work with it much. It did install without any problems though.
Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds