The forum is in read only mode.

system freeze while booting from dvd

• Christian Ambros
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 6 months ago #1496 by Christian Ambros
system freeze while booting from dvd was created by Christian Ambros
Hi,

after successful downloading, running and installing CAELinux on my girlfriends laptop I liked giving it a try on my desktop computer.
After I inserted the dvd, the bootloader gave me the choices for starting the live system. First I had a try on the standard version but after, let's say, a quarter of the progressbar the system freezed and the dvd stoppt spinning after a while.
The same happend with noapic and nolapic options which I have to use for installing ubuntu.

I've got an Asus M2n-Board with amd64 X2 3800+, 2x 1024mb of ram, an pci-express fx6200 nvidia card, a lg gsa-h62n s-ata dvdwriter, a 120gb-seagate ide hdd, 2x 500gb seagate s-ata hdd's, an intus firewire-controller and a bt878-television-controller. My screens make by hanns G model HG216D HDMI.

The laptop is an old Samsung V25 one.

Ubuntu gusty gibbons works fine and without any disadvanteges.

Why do I have trouble with that dvd?
What did I do wrong?

I gave I a try with loading the dvd into the memory too, hang's at the same quatter in progress bar. I gave it more than 1 hour, thought of exotic hardware to be detected, but nothing happend.
  • Christian Ambros
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 6 months ago #1498 by Christian Ambros
Replied by Christian Ambros on topic Re:system freeze while booting from dvd
... forgot to mention: the dvd I wrote seems ok due to successful installtion on the laptop....
More
16 years 6 months ago #1500 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:system freeze while booting from dvd
Hello,

I suspect the Sata DVD drive (or another Sata device) may cause a problem... but I can't be sure from what you describe.

Could you press ESC when you see the progress bar; this will activate the Verbose mode, so you can see what's happening and see some possible error message.

It would really help if you can tell me what message you get when it stops (and some previous lines too...)

Another possibility could be the network, sound or graphic card detection script... so try to start in VESA mode or disable sound / network...

I have at home more or less the same hardware and it works fine:
Athlon X2 4200, Asus MB with Nforce chipset, Nvidia PCIE 6600, 2Gb ram, 2x Sata HDD, 2xIDE DVD-writers.

Good luck

PS: you can also try to browse PCLinuxOs.com forums, it is full of information related to hardware support etc...

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
  • Christian Ambros
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 6 months ago #1505 by Christian Ambros
I tried to press escape as early as I could to get the output, but it didn't switch from that sky image to verbose mode. But I will try to get one for you.
  • Christian Ambros
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 6 months ago #1506 by Christian Ambros
As I now could manage to enter the verbose mode by, disconnecting the printer and changing the setting vor the parallel port in bios, I figured out that the system freezes don't happen to be reproduceable at the same place in verbose mode. sometimes it hangs in hardware detection by detecting the hard disks sometimes just read errors on the dvd.

My conclusion is, the dvd isn't that well written!
But I'm wondering why the installation on that old laptop was so successfull at first time I did it...

By the way, is there a complete package list available for all the nice packages which are not consideralbe as standard like salome, code aster, octave and so on?
My question's background is, if trouble with the dvd will continue I like to install all the packages on my pretty good working ubuntu installation, and will have the same for my own laptop which doesn't support dvd but fullfill the other requierments. It's a Dell ;-)
  • Christian Ambros
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 6 months ago #1508 by Christian Ambros
Hi,

after some time of exploration I could manage to figure out what exactly doesn't work... The hardware detection fails with main ata1 error, but hardwaretesting programms don't find any errors. All three harddisk are ok, especially the s-ata-drives are owned by me three weeks. The ide drive I bought a year ago.
So what can I do?
Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds