Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

CAELinux-X64

More
15 years 7 months ago #2225 by tybeede
Replied by tybeede on topic Re:CAELinux-X64
That would be really cool to see a 64 bit CAELinux. Is there anyway to organize this project into one where it would be possible for several people to contribute?
More
15 years 7 months ago #2228 by JMB
Replied by JMB on topic Re:CAELinux-X64
Administrator wrote:

Hi everyone,

It is very interesting to have your feedback on 64bit systems. I was just asking myself a couple of months ago if it would be the right time to switch CAElinux to 64bit as it seems that more and more PC are compatible.. and 4gb RAM (or more) is now "cheap" and really usefull for real scale problems. It seems that I have the answer now: the future CAELinux will most probably be 64bit... and based on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

I don't have enought time now to build a fully qualified distribution, but I have already started my investigations and tests. I have built a "test" version of a remastered Ubuntu 8.04 DVD with Aster 64 (two version: one compiled with intel compilers and the other with gcc/gfortran, an MPI version is also planned.. ) + Salome-Meca-2008 32bit. Based on what I have experienced after 2 months of various use, it appears to be a very stable platform (except for some 3D drivers in liveDVD mode.. "as usual" I would say).
It also offers a nice base to build a really low cost cluster (=no licences, quad core cpu are now quite cheap!!).

By the way, I would like to include a small "cluster" setup tool to configure a basic cluster based on ethernet, it should at least:
1) create and mount a NFS share on all machines,
2) generate ssh rsa keys, known host keys and propagate the configuration on each node

If you know some scripts or tool that already does this in Ubuntu, it would really help me.

Also if someone has a script or can tell me how to configure the system to boot other nodes via PXE, it would be great too (like the Quantian distro...).

As I am quite busy until february, I don't think that the next release will be available before march 2009 but at least now you know in which direction it will evolve!!

Joël Cugnoni

Hi Joel!

I am thrilled that you are going to be developing CAELinux 64bit on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS! If you have any need for a beta-tester, I am willing.

On the subject of PXE Boot, I have used Ubuntu 7.10 to make it an LTSP server. It was the easiest thing to do, using the Alternate CD image. It is a menu option available at the time of bootup. I don't know if 8.04 has this feature also in the alternate CD. Perhaps you can explore the scripts available there.

I have already setup an Ubuntu 8.04 64bit Quad Core + 8GB RAM with Code-Aster 64bit (gfortran) but don't have MPI enabled or working yet. Also I have been struggling to get Salome 3.2.9 to work, so some of the development work you have done will help me and in turn I can assist by testing it. Hope to hear from you soon at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
JMB<br /><br />Post edited by: JMB, at: 2008/09/07 00:43
More
15 years 7 months ago #2231 by tybeede
Replied by tybeede on topic Re:CAELinux-X64
I would love to do some testing as well, my system is pretty much the same but with a duo core e8400.
More
15 years 7 months ago #2274 by JMB
Administrator wrote:

Hi everyone,

the future CAELinux will most probably be 64bit... and based on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

I have built a &quot;test&quot; version of a remastered Ubuntu 8.04 DVD with Aster 64 (two version: one compiled with intel compilers and the other with gcc/gfortran, an MPI version is also planned.. ) + Salome-Meca-2008 32bit. Based on what I have experienced after 2 months of various use, it appears to be a very stable platform (except for some 3D drivers in liveDVD mode.. &quot;as usual&quot; I would say).

Joël Cugnoni

Hello Joel,

Would it be possible to share how you got SalomeMeca-2008 working in Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 64bit in this forum, please? Thanks.

Regards,
JMB
More
15 years 7 months ago #2275 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:CAELinux-X64
Hi JMB,

in fact, I just took the 32-bit Salome-Meca 2008 binary distrib and installed it as &quot;usual&quot;.. and it works.. But I have not tested it much at the moment and it only works when using the 3D Nvidia driver and crashes with the default open source driver (an issue with Mesa as it was on PCLinuxOS?).

To install 3D drivers, I usually use the ENVY tool (it can be installed from Synaptics) and it gives you the latest compatible driver!! Great tool.

I will probably not try to recompile Salome on 64 bit platform myself, at least as long as the 32bit versions runs correctly.

Hope that it helps you

Joël

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
More
15 years 7 months ago #2276 by JMB
Administrator wrote:

Hi JMB,

in fact, I just took the 32-bit Salome-Meca 2008 binary distrib and installed it as &quot;usual&quot;.. and it works..
To install 3D drivers, I usually use the ENVY tool

Joël

Hello Joel,

Thank you for your reply and taking the time from your busy schedule! The EnvyNG was a wonderful tip!. It is definitely a gem.

However, I am not having much luck with the &quot;usual&quot; install of SalomeMeca-2008.1. I am installing on a clean Ubuntu 8.04 64bit with all the updates and with Code-Aster installed. I have a problem with ASTK as shown here &quot;www.code-aster.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?pid=15177#p15177"; but that is a different issue.

The problem I have is, when I do: &quot;/opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/runSalomeMeca&quot; I get:

/opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME-MECA/V3_2_9/prerequis-SalomeMeca-V3_2_9.sh: line 1: /opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/../prerequis/debianForSalome-v1_2_0/bin/dirname: No such file or directory
/opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/runAppli: line 20: /opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/../prerequis/debianForSalome-v1_2_0/bin/dirname: No such file or directory
CHECK
Searching for free port for the SALOME Naming Service: /opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/runAppli: line 29: /opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/../prerequis/debianForSalome-v1_2_0/bin/expr: No such file or directory
; /opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/runAppli: line 28: [: -lt: unary operator expected
/opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/runAppli: line 48: /opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/../prerequis/debianForSalome-v1_2_0/bin/python: No such file or directory
/opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/runAppli: line 52: /opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/SALOME/SALOME3/V3_2_9NoDebug/../prerequis/debianForSalome-v1_2_0/bin/python: No such file or directory

Even though &quot;dirname&quot; is present in that directory and a &quot;ls -al&quot; shows that it is there and with correct permissions and all that! This error and the subsequent ones completely baffle me. Any ideas?

Thank you and with regards,
JMB
Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds