Salome-Meca 2018 Mesh module crashes SIGSEGV in CAELinux 2018

• Atique Ahmad
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #9353 by Atique Ahmad
Hi everyone,
Good to see the newest CAE Linux 2018. Great work by Prof Joel Cugnoni.

I tried it, but there is one problem. Every time I run Salome-Meca 2018, the geometry module works fine, but as soon as I try to activate Mesh module, it gives a SIGSEGV. If I try it in the terminal I get:
Can't compile vertex shader.
0:1(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, and 1.00 ES

*** Abort *** an exception was raised, but no catch was found.
... The exception is:SIGSEGV 'segmentation violation' detected. Address 0

Whereas, glxinfo informs me:

server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
Version: 18.0.5
Max core profile version: 0.0
Max compat profile version: 2.1
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 2.0
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 18.0.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
Can anyone help me solve this problem.

Thanks and regards,
--
Atique

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #9355 by ing.nicola.dettole
Replied by ing.nicola.dettole on topic Salome-Meca 2018 Mesh module crashes SIGSEGV in CAELinux 2018
Are you on a virtual machine?
If yes the problem is a driver video incompatibility.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by ing.nicola.dettole.

• Atique Ahmad
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #9357 by Atique Ahmad
I am not on virtual machine. However, as I searched the internet, I found that my laptop is quite old (8 years old Dell Inspiron N5010) and latest Salome-Meca is too-up-to-date. So for now I have reinstalled SalomeMeca 2017; there are problems here too but that is another thing.

If anyone finds a solution please post.

5 years 2 months ago #9404 by Joël Cugnoni
Hello,

For what I have found your laptop has a Radeon HD 5470 GPU, is it correct?

Normally that GPU is supported by the Linux Xorg Radeon driver which should give a sufficient OpenGL acceleration to run Salome Meca 2018. Maybe the system is using the Intel GPU from the processor instead of the AMD Radeon...

To check this, could you post the result of the command 'glxinfo' ?

But you are right, for some reasons, Salome Meca 2017 has lower requirement in terms of GPU and this can be a good solution when hardware OpenGL rendering is not available.

• Atique Ahmad
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #9407 by Atique Ahmad
Thanks for your reply.
No, my laptop does not have Radeon. In fact there is no graphics card. I use internal Intel graphics driver. My first post above shows some output of 'glxinfo'.

Even Salome-Meca 2017 is not working properly. I can prepare geometry and mesh and all the input in AsterStudy; but when I run the case study I get an error message saying:

Unexpected Error:
Type: UnicodeDecodeError
Value: ('ascii', '\xd9\x85\xd9\x86\xda\xaf\xd9\x84-19-101738', 0, 1, 'ordinal not in range(128)')

Any help, please!

By the way, any suggestions on selecting processor and graphics card (CPU and GPU) before I go and buy a new laptop to use with CAELinux. I am on a tight budget.

Thanks in advance.
Atique

5 years 1 month ago #9417 by Joël Cugnoni
Hello,

my laptop is not very powerfull either: Intel Core i5 5200 with 8Gb ram and integrated Intel graphics... Not the best configuration for 3D CAD & visualization but it works. I have personally had the best experience using NVidia GPUs, but AMD Radeon worked pretty well too. Needless to say much better than Intel integrated graphics, but also much more power hungry. If you want a cheap laptop and will not work on large CAD/ visualization models an Intel CPU Core i3/i5 with integrated graphics is ok. If you intend to run not so small simulations, 8Gb of ram minimum or even 16Gb is a big plus. To be honest I much prefer a laptop with just decent graphics capabilities with a SSD and a good autonomy than a powerbrick with great GPU that only last 1h30 unplugged...

Anyway I do my heavy lifting work on a dual Intel Xeon E5 2670 (16 cores) with 128Gb RAM and an NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti but this is overkill for most work (except running heavy 3D FEA homogenization models with a few million nodes..)

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds