Hello! Could anyone offer any advice please?

• Jim McKenzie
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #8746 by Jim McKenzie
Hello! Could anyone offer any advice please? was created by Jim McKenzie
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to CFD.

I love the concept of open source, having built arduino projects for years (most recently a Rostock Delta 3D printer) its clear to see the power of free collective contribution.

Having only just come across CAE linux, its only just dawned on me how awesome that can be! :ohmy:
So Thank you to anyone involved in this project or any of the software within it, its truly awesome!
Hopefully one day I will be in a position to contribute.

I'm a post graduate student studying renewable energy and am about to to do my dissertation project. I've decided to investigate latent thermal heat storage used in conjunction with air source heat pumps. I would like to simulate the melting of paraffin wax in various different heat exchanger style geometries to ascertain which will have the best heat transfer characteristics.

I have begun working my way through the openFOAM user manual and tutorials and the CAELinux wiki. Could anyone give me any advice or a direction to start looking in please? Maybe I would be better off using Salome-Meca? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jim McKenzie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #8747 by Claus
Hi.

Glad you found the site then :)

Your topic sound really interesting and I looked a bit into it years ago (using ice) although not at the level you'll be doing it.

I can only recommend OpenFOAM as a tool for this. Code_Saturne (these two are the most mature open source CFD codes) does not handle phase change as far as I know.

Have a closer look at OpenFOAM for this feature.

Just to name a few sources:
openfoam.org/release/2-3-0/multiphase/
github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.3.x/blob/...ationMeltingSource.H
pamir.sal.lv/2014/cd/container/E.3.10=Dadzis_Pamir2014.pdf

Let us know how you get on :)

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim McKenzie

• Jim McKenzie
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #8751 by Jim McKenzie
Replied by Jim McKenzie on topic Re: Hello! Could anyone offer any advice please?
Hi claws,

Thanks for the reply.

Oh cool, was that for storing "coolth" for air conditioning?

Thanks for the links I'll let you know how I get on.

Also, do you think it would be beneficial to have the newest versions of open foam and paraview?

I've just installed CAE linux and the current version of open foam is 2.1.1 and paraview is 3.12. I'm fairly new to linux so still getting to grips with how software is installed and updated etc. When I try this:
sudo apt-get upgrade

It returns with everything is up to date? Do i literally have to uninstall and reinstall the applications or is there an easier way?

I don't know if its related but when I start CAE linux a notification appears saying a problem occurred when checking for updates.

Sorry, bit of a newb with linux.

Cheers

More
7 years 7 months ago #8752 by Claus
Hi

Close, it was for storing 'coolth' (:)) for drinking water during peak use.

Regarding versions of the software: I was about to write, that you should probably leave the versions alone till you get more comfortable with Linux and OpenFOAM in general, but I see that OpenFOAM has just released version 4 - which is a major step forward. In this link, there is a thorough guide to installing the software. Now, I don't know if this will work on CAELinux which is fairly old by now.
openfoam.org/download/4-0-ubuntu/

Perhaps you should install the latest Ubuntu (or linux mint) and install the latest OpenFOAM, since this is what you'll be focusing on.

The rest of the software in CAELinux is faily easy to install on a newly installed distribution - otherwise ask here.

For following the tutorials for OpenFOAM and get familiar with it, you can use the versions you have now.

I recommend against updating CAELinux in general - you can find numerous post on this forum on the problems it incurs.

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds