Pointers on importing shape into CAD

• NewToCAELinux
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #8545 by NewToCAELinux
Pointers on importing shape into CAD was created by NewToCAELinux
Long time Linux user, but new to CAD. Trying to expose a few guys at new job to Linux. One, a senior machinist (~60) is open to the idea. The otherj a recent Mech Eng grad. Neither has heard of Linux. Not surprised by the senior, but thought an engineering student would have at least heard of it.

Anyway, I am shaking my head watching young grad spend two+ days trying to match an irregularly shaped (aeronautics) profile. Rough out part, print it out, cut it out, match against part, tweak, repeat. All the time wrestling with windows (10?) networking/printing issues. I suggested he place the part (or traced outline) on scanner and import image, but he says the software he's using (CATIA) can't. I'm sure one of the CAD programs on the CAELinux LiveCD can do it can do it.

Can anyone suggest an program (, or approach) for importing a shape into one of the CAD programs in the CAELinux distribution.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #8547 by Petr
Replied by Petr on topic Re: Pointers on importing shape into CAD
Hello.
I'm not sure if I get your problem right. Also I'm more in FEM computing than CAD. But I tried to google some info ("catia import figure" :) )because I did geometry in CATIA for my diploma thesis.
In my opinion, you can import figures into CATIA without problem

If I should solve your given task I will try with FreeCAD forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,222381

Regards,
Petr

More
8 years 1 month ago #8550 by RichardS
Replied by RichardS on topic Re: Pointers on importing shape into CAD
Hi,
one free software package included in CAELinux, namely Salome, can do shape recognition from images.
You can import a picture and create a wire from it as a starting point for geometry creation.

I did not test it a lot, so I can't say how robust the image recognition algorithm is, but perhaps it's worth a try.
Here is the documentation of that feature:
docs.salome-platform.org/7/gui/GEOM/shape_recognition_page.html

Btw, if you want to be independant from windows and use a good CAD solution, I would recommend having a look at onshape .
It runs only in a web browser (and thus is completely independent from any operating system) and it also has a free plan.

Best,
Richard

SimScale - Engineering Simulation in your browser!

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds