Problem CAE Linux update

More
8 years 4 months ago #8484 by Ben
Problem CAE Linux update was created by Ben
Hi everyone,

I am Ben, a friench engineer discovering the wonderful world of CAELinux. I am not used to linux, and I installed the version (2013, is there a new one comming?) on my little DELL laptop. Everything went fine during the installation, but then I updated the Ubuntu version with the command line. I let the computer run for sevral hours and then reboot it but it didn't work and couldnot boot. I reinstall the 2013 CAELinux distribution and updated ubuntu with the graphical assistant and then it worked (became XUbuntu).

I however have messages when I boot linux: Impossible to connect to virtual box or something like this, but I do not run Linux on a VM. I however installed it in addition to Windows on the computer. DO you know where it comes from?

And I would like to use Salome Meca 2013.2 instead of salome-meca 2013.1 already installed, can I upgrade Salome-Meca? Or do I need to unintalll it and reinstall the next version?

Thank you for your help,
Ben.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #8497 by Leo
Replied by Leo on topic Re: Problem CAE Linux update
you can install many packages of Salome-MECA at the same time (for example 2013, 2015)

More
8 years 3 months ago #8501 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Problem CAE Linux update
Okay thank you for that. I realized my laptop is in 32 bits, is it still possible to install newer version of SalomeMeca? (I have seen that they switched to 64 bits)

For those who are interested my problems are from the update itself: I read that the system became unstable if we move to a newer version of Ubuntu, me musst not do the update. I need to install CAELinux 2013 again...

More
8 years 3 months ago #8509 by Leo
Replied by Leo on topic Re: Problem CAE Linux update
Ubuntu XFCE (at caelinux2013) has some permanent problems (liike alsa and layouts fall off), so this system requires some actions sometimes.
But you can update internet browser only, it is not necessarily to update in in general.
Also you can install ubuntu unity 32 bit (which is much more stable) and the same version of Salome-MECA above it .
2013 is good version and it it not too much different from 2015. Also old examples don't work with new code-aster sometimes and also wizards may not work with new code. I would rather stay with 2013 without updates.
it is true that new Salome has only 64 bit, the latest 32 is 2013-1
www.code-aster.org/spip.php?article303

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds