Memory violation propblems

• Johan Stadler
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #8390 by Johan Stadler
Memory violation propblems was created by Johan Stadler
I am using Salome-Meca 2015.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 and I am forever getting memory violation problems, to the extend that I cannot complete some of the work I am busy with. On some models it works OK, on others I do not get anywhere. I can not detect a pattern.

I can not recall that I ever had a problem in the Aster module but I am getting it in Geometry, Mesh, Paravis (worse than in the first 2) and in Homard (to the extend that I can not even get past the first iteration).

In Geo and Mesh it helps to export the model as it is at the problem stage and continue in a new file.

I do not believe it is a hardware problem because I do not have any problems in Win8 or the few other things I do in Ubuntu, but for the record I am using a Gigabyte Z97-D3H motherboard with 32 Gb memory and a Nvidia GTX660 graphics card. I have the same problems when using the onboard graphics.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #8392 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re: Memory violation propblems
Salomé has terrible quality assurance for their software - there I said it.

I don't know what distribution with what versions of libs they use, to be able to use it reliably, but over the years I've had major problems with reliability on different platforms.

The best advice I can give you, is to use Code_Aster and Salomé separately and try different releases of Salome as some releases are less buggy than others

Unfortunately, it is the best CAD platform in Linux that has good compatibility with Code_Aster, otherwise I'd use another program.

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johan Stadler

• Johan Stadler
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #8393 by Johan Stadler
Replied by Johan Stadler on topic Re: Memory violation propblems
Thanks for the reply Claus.

I am not knowledgeable enough to say what you have said, but I have suspected it and was certainly hoping for something different.

As you say, Salome is really the only capable software available for the small guys who can not afford the big money for the big names. I am sure EDF makes this software available as part of their social responsibility program, so surely, even though it's free, it must be in their interest to sort out the bugs before they release it.

I wonder what the guys on Pronet do. Surely at least some of them must be using the software commercially, or don't they? Maybe they can tell us.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to use the two programs separately. And let us then place our hopes on 2016.1 release.

• Johan Stadler
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #8540 by Johan Stadler
Replied by Johan Stadler on topic Re: Memory violation propblems
I have battled through my problem to a solution and the "rules" I have established for myself in the process, may be of value to somebody. They are:

* Save regularly. Nothing new in this but do it. I have set my autosave at 5 min.
* If you pick up a problem, export the model and import it into a new study. Do it anyway before you mesh. The xao format works fine.
* Never use Paravis with any of the other modules open.

PS. S-M 2015.2 worked better than 2015.1. Let's hope we won't need any of this with 2016.1.

More
8 years 2 months ago #8541 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re: Memory violation propblems
Good advice. Paraview with MED support can also be loaded separately from Salome.

www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_12/711766742#625778109

Works well when you're tweaking a .comm file and don't want to start Salome for post processing.

If Salome refuses to save a project -full HDF- it can save individual parts of a project. I don't have Salome here, but look for it in 'preferences'

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #8591 by Hans Peter
Replied by Hans Peter on topic Re: Memory violation propblems
Had the same problem, but for some reason it just stopped?

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds