The forum is in read only mode.

defeature small feature in CAD model

• Pei-Ying Hsieh
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 3 months ago #2606 by Pei-Ying Hsieh
defeature small feature in CAD model was created by Pei-Ying Hsieh
Dear CAE experts:

Sometimes, I received CAD models from designers. These CAD model (say in step format) usually contains all the details, such as smaller fillets, smaller faces, small holes, small edges. For some analysis (CFD, thermal), these small features have little effect on result, but, makes meshing a nightmare. Is there any Open Source software that is capable defeaturing? Or a mesher that is capable of ignoring small features?

Thanks!

phsieh2005
More
15 years 3 months ago #2607 by Jake
Replied by Jake on topic Re:defeature small feature in CAD model
Features aren't included in say the IGES or STEP models...you'd have to get them in their native formats and do the work in the corresponding program and re-export.
More
15 years 3 months ago #2610 by Alessandro
Replied by Alessandro on topic Re:defeature small feature in CAD model
Pei-Ying Hsieh wrote:

Dear CAE experts:

Sometimes, I received CAD models from designers. These CAD model (say in step format) usually contains all the details, such as smaller fillets, smaller faces, small holes, small edges. For some analysis (CFD, thermal), these small features have little effect on result, but, makes meshing a nightmare. Is there any Open Source software that is capable defeaturing? Or a mesher that is capable of ignoring small features?

Thanks!

phsieh2005

In a windows environment, you can download and install Alibre Xpress for free. The free version has some few limitations compared to the commercial version (assembly up to 25 components, some features missing, etc), but it can be usefull for your scope.
Another free 3d-cad package is OneSpace designer Personal Edition (OSD-PE), but I don't know if it can export in step format. Alibre can do it.<br /><br />Post edited by: Alessandro, at: 2009/02/15 12:44
  • Pei-Ying Hsieh
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 3 months ago #2612 by Pei-Ying Hsieh
Replied by Pei-Ying Hsieh on topic Re:defeature small feature in CAD model
Hi,

Thanks for the reply! But, I am not looking for a CAD software. I already have SolidWorks. Some of the CAD model I received is in native SolidWorks format, but, there are times, I cannot simply delete/supress a feature because it affects other features downstream, hence, messing up the model.

What I am looking for is to defeature the model. That is, delete small holes/fillets automatically outside SoildWorks. I already found several commercial packages with the defeature capability, but, would prefer an Open Source software if one exist.

phsieh
More
15 years 3 months ago #2613 by Alessandro
Replied by Alessandro on topic Re:defeature small feature in CAD model
If you already have swx, then you can use it to simplify the model: for example, if you want to suppress an hole, just add an extrusion of material that goes to cover the hole. You can do the same to cover fillets, chamfers, etc etc. Finally, when you export to step or iges, the model simplified by addition of features is exactly the same obtained removing feature from the model tree.
I have SolidEdge (very similar to SWX) and I do it in that way.

I hope this helps you.
  • Pei-Ying Hsieh
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 2 months ago #2641 by Pei-Ying Hsieh
Replied by Pei-Ying Hsieh on topic Re:defeature small feature in CAD model
Hi,

I found several packages that are capable of defeaturing:

CADfix
SpaceClaim
3D_Evolution

are the most impressed.