PCLinuxOS big update

• Alessandro
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #2578 by Alessandro
PCLinuxOS big update was created by Alessandro
In the PCLinuxOS site a "big update" is announced.
But they warn the users to don't complain if something goes wrong during the update, especially for those who installed "hacked" packages, or modified the distributions in any manner. For example, in my Caelinux I installed OpenOffice 3.0 instead of the given older version.

What to do with this update on caelinux? Has somebody experienced it?
More
15 years 3 months ago #2579 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:PCLinuxOS big update
Hi,

maybe it's good to try in a virtual machine first !

I have not (and will probably not) test this update...

Good luck

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com
More
15 years 3 months ago #2580 by John
Replied by John on topic Re:PCLinuxOS big update
I've seen the update in Synaptic. IT IS HUGE!!!
I am not half-hearted but I think that even with the "standard" packages in C.A.E. Linux, there is a big probability that all
these library changes will break some of the C.A.E. packages...
  • Alessandro
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #2581 by Alessandro
Replied by Alessandro on topic Re:PCLinuxOS big update
I applied the whole update.

It seems it was all ok, I performed an old analysis again:
meshing, "astering", post-processing, and all arrived at the end in the usual way.

The accelerated video driver seems to work too (Ati radeon mobile).

The new version of kde appears more comfortable than the previous one (personal taste of course).

Regards.
More
15 years 3 months ago #2586 by Matthew Bondy
Replied by Matthew Bondy on topic Re:PCLinuxOS big update
I have only run synaptic twice. The first time was shortly after I installed CAE Linux to my hard drive. I dont know exactly what was updated but everything went to hell (I am quite sure it was graphics chipset driver related). The big update has pretty well fixed everything (I have never been able to get my wireless adapter working so this was ever broken per se). I only use octave, koctave, Salome Meca, and OpenFOAM (I have not had a chance to really explore what is available to me but I suppose that is not a bad thing).

I am hoping this package will be re-released once PCLinux 2009 is released (my wireless adapter should work with it). Nevertheless, this package is awesome, I am in no position to even try to figure out how to download a Linux distro and add all this great software. Kudos to the developers of this package and all the great software it includes.

Edit: I just read the post in the Linux OS forum area about the possible switch to 64bit Ubuntu. I am running a relatively cheap, newer notebook with 64bit Vista so I suppose that would be a logical next step for most people. I dont know what I think of distros with a for-profit corporation behind them. It seems hard to believe they can work around the GNU license.

- Matt Bondy<br /><br />Post edited by: Matthew Bondy, at: 2009/02/08 05:08
Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds