Saturne is not calculating

• CAVT
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #4526 by CAVT
Saturne is not calculating was created by CAVT
Hi all,

Well, I'm trying to run a simple case with Saturne, it's my first time with it an depite I follow all the steps like in the original turorial Sturne doesn't seem to perform any calculation at all...
I'm using the old CAELinux 2008, as my machine is a 32bit Sempron, but the ahrdware specs are not he problem, surely I'm not doing something well. Firstly I made in Catia a very simple delta wing, just a triangular plate with beveled borders, a larger box which plays the part of "field", inserted there the wing, and with boolean operations I ended having a solid prism with a hollow sector corresponding to the "removed" delta wing. That part was not problematic at all. I saved the resulting geometry as a STEP file.
Now in Salome I added a cylinder surrounding the delta wing, but I did by revolving a line, so the resulting object is a surface. I partitioned the box with the cylinder, so now I can assign two different mesh sizes to each volume. I made a mesh with two submeshes using tetrahedorns as 3d element and exported the mesh as a med file.
Now in the CFD wizard I defined the case with its directory and mesh file, and the Saturne GUI opened. Well, basically I set everything as in the Saturne video tutorial, exceptuating group names, initial velocities and fluid characteristics. But when I press "batch processor run" the process would last a few seconds (10, 15, not more) and if I examine the listing file it would be like 560 lines, much less than the 2000+ I should get. The I open the generated med file in Salome but the postprocess shows only nodes and families, but nothing like velocity, pressure or similar, and I checked the whole options tree. I suppose that Saturne is not doing things well or I am missing something that I simply cannot realize of. Salome doesn't seem to be the problem.
I hope that any of you can give me hint. Thank you very much.

César

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4529 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:Saturne is not calculating
It could be any number of things, check the 'listing' file generated in ~/tmp_saturne/xxxx-date/

Regards,

Claus

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

More
13 years 7 months ago #4532 by Yvan Fournier
Replied by Yvan Fournier on topic Re:Saturne is not calculating
Hello,

Which version of Code_Saturne are you running ? If you obtain families in the MED output, it would seem that you are looking at the preprocessor check mesh output, not the calculation proper (the Kernel may output a mesh file, but does not output families yet).

As Klaus recommended, what do you have in your "listing" file (and do you have a listpre or preprocessor.log file, and in the case of user Fortran subroutines, do you have a compil.log file) ?.

Regards,

Yvan

• CAVT
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #4533 by CAVT
Replied by CAVT on topic Re:Saturne is not calculating
Thanks for the replies. Well, first of all, I think I can say it's a Saturne problem, I can confirm that since in another installation I compiled the newest Saturne 2.0RC1 and it worked flawlessly. However just for pride I'll try to fix the original one. I was trying with Saturne 1.3.1, the one by default in CAELinux 2008.
I re-ran one of the cases but with the shell opened and by setting the case manually rather than with the CFD wizard. I'm not using any Fortran routines, I tried to keep everything simple (I'm a noob, lol). I did all the steps accordingly and equally to what I did with Saturne 2.0, and when I clicked to start the calculations it appeared in the shell a preprocessing message (normal) and short after the indication that the main calculation started. A couple of seconds later, a nice message was indicating that the calculation was stopped due to an error.
Finally, I cheked the RESU directory of my case and there was an error log I didn't take into account previously, and which was absent in the case executed with Saturne 2.0... bingo, I guess. This is what appears in the file erreur.[time code]:

Signal SIGSEGV (accès à une zone mémoire interdite) intercepté !

Pile d'appels :
1: 0xffffe420 ? (?)
2: 0xb7fa47a6 <fvm_writer_init+0x3d6> (libfvm.so.0)
3: 0x806b7a5 <cs_post_ajoute_writer+0x136> (cs13.exe)
4: 0x806c84f <cs_post_init_pcp+0x147> (cs13.exe)
5: 0x805c2a9 <main+0x1ad> (cs13.exe)
6: 0xb79a1a36 <__libc_start_main+0xe6> (libc.so.6)
7: 0x805c081 ? (?)
Fin de la pile

Libfvm and libc seem to be lacking everywhere in my system, and I don't know how is it possible that it asks for an .exe file... Any hints? If you don't know there's no problem, I already have Saturne 2.0, so I'm saved. Thanks again. Maybe I'll try searching for those files in the liveDVD and replace them

• CAVT
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #4540 by CAVT
Replied by CAVT on topic Re:Saturne is not calculating
Well, I think there's somethng strange going on here. Is it possible that Saturne doesn't recognize partitions made with Salome? I ran the same case in Saturne 2.0 with different meshing and while one did correctly, the other one keeps showing errors about an internal volume. The mesh which occasionates the error has indeed two volumes, generated by partitioning the original volume which represents the fluid field. So I have a big volume comprising most of the field, and a smaller one whre my wing in study is contained (the wing is actually a hollow part of this subvolume, as expected). I did so to have a finer mesh (defined as submesh) around the wing and the wake, otherwise the distribution is inneficient, and I don't feel like having a lot of elements in irrelevant places.
I suppose it has to do with the way Salome defines these partitions, but I don't know how to refine with Gmesh nor define patches with it... but if someone comes up with a solution for Salome + Saturne, that'd be great.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4545 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:Saturne is not calculating
CAVT wrote:

Well, I think there's somethng strange going on here. Is it possible that Saturne doesn't recognize partitions made with Salome? I ran the same case in Saturne 2.0 with different meshing and while one did correctly, the other one keeps showing errors about an internal volume. The mesh which occasionates the error has indeed two volumes, generated by partitioning the original volume which represents the fluid field. So I have a big volume comprising most of the field, and a smaller one whre my wing in study is contained (the wing is actually a hollow part of this subvolume, as expected). I did so to have a finer mesh (defined as submesh) around the wing and the wake, otherwise the distribution is inneficient, and I don't feel like having a lot of elements in irrelevant places.
I suppose it has to do with the way Salome defines these partitions, but I don't know how to refine with Gmesh nor define patches with it... but if someone comes up with a solution for Salome + Saturne, that'd be great.

Am battling this hard atm., but there's a lack of good automatic meshers in the OS world - The best way to mesh for Saturne, as far as I have discovered, is partitioning and extruding 2D profiles - that is the best way for me to have some control over the cell distribution. The new Salomé coming at the end of the year should focus on meshing, but it is months off I think.

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds