Computation time?

• Lachenmayr
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #4324 by Lachenmayr
Computation time? was created by Lachenmayr
I was successfull to go throug the Videa-Tutorial "flowstep" wich is in the doku of CAELinux 2009 (/opt/caelinux/docs/tutorials/FlowStepSaturne). I run the job on my 2 years old destop-system with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+.

The job is now computing about 16 hours!

I know, that CFD are time-comsuming computations. Has anyone an idea that this is normal? Has anyone executed this example on a system comparable to mine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4326 by rui simoes
Replied by rui simoes on topic Re:Computation time?
hi!

i left it computing (same example) all past night long...

this morning still no sign of ending...

found it abnormal so i killed the process.
still there was a med file in RESU. when opened with salome there were consistente values.

i deleted everything, and tried once more...

i dont understand, Linux top command shows a CS14 running (almost no CPU in use)... after 2hours...

i know i didnt answer your question.
just to share the same prob. by the way, i have a AMD Turion64, single core.

greetings
rui

More
13 years 10 months ago #4327 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:Computation time?
The computation is set to run a number of iterations in the interface, by looking at the 'listings' file in ~/tmp_saturne/CASE* you can see how many iterations it's up to at a given time.

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

More
13 years 8 months ago #4541 by CAVT
Replied by CAVT on topic Re:Computation time?
The post is old, but information like this is useful. I can say about my experience:

I solved a steady-state case with k-e model and a tetrahedron mesh of 168000+ nodes in my modest 32bit Sempron LE1100 with 2GB RAM and it took between 650 and 700 seconds each iteration. I set 20 iterations to be solved, so the case was ready after 4h 15min.
The cpu was working at 100% fulltime and the RAM usage was above 1GB always, occasionally swaping a few MB, no more than 60MB, and that taking into account that my swapiness was relatively high. I must congratulate Saturne guys because despite this exigence my machine ran smoothly practically any other app at the same time, including watching YouTube.
Meshing with Salome is somewhat slow though, GMesh is much faster. I'll see how it goes with EnGrid once I manage to install it.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds