CFD codes for industrial CFD

• Alicia
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 1 week ago #3994 by Alicia
Replied by Alicia on topic Re:CFD codes for industrial CFD
Hi everyone !

Thanks for the tip.

When running the calculation, I get the message Normal Simulation Finish, my results files seem ok.
To try to find the problem, I did exactly the same steps with a small mesh and with a big one. So I have a geometry, which I mesh a first time. I obtain the small mesh. Then I refine this mesh twice and got the big mesh.
I run the calculation with exactly the same parameters : same precision for the solver, same time step, same number of time steps, same physical parameters... I only changed the mesh at the input.
In both cases, I got the message normal simulation finish, and have the same files in both of the directories RESU.
Then I launch Paraview, and open the file CHR.case in Little Endian. I load the data, and in the Information tab of the object browser, I got exactly the same infos : size of the mesh, structure of data, range for values, time steps saved, size of the domain, ....
The same difference is that with the small mesh, I can display all my data, and with the big one I can choose between Solid Color and vtkCompositeIndex. I attach here a screenshot for both cases.
I tried, as yu said, to launch paraview from a terminal, but didn't get any error message. My only guess is that or paraview doesn't manage well big amounts of data (which seems a bit crazy because all i read about this software says that it's it aim...) or that there is something to do to get the data when there are a lot of them that I don't know about...
Here are the screenshot. I hope someone will be able to help me on this !

Alicia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alicia
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 1 week ago #3995 by Alicia
Didn't work the first time, here are the screenshots

Attachments:

• Alicia
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 1 week ago #3996 by Alicia
experiencing some problems, posted twice the screenshot for the small mesh ...sorry. This is the screenshot for the big mesh
Attachments:

More
14 years 1 week ago #4003 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:CFD codes for industrial CFD
This is not a very helpful reply, but I'll post it anyway:

I had problems too with Ensight format and the new CSaturne recently. I also had problems with the most recent Paraview.
The problem is, I cannot remember what the problems was :blush: only that I had to revert back to Paraview 3.4.0 and that I had to experiment with using either Small Endian or Big.

So my last feeble attempt to help you is (in this order):

*Try with older versions of Paraview (assuming you're using 3.6.2)
*Try swapping output format from Big/Small Endian

Try to isolate the problem; see if it's a problem with the CSaturne implementation of Ensight or if it's a Paraview specific problem.

Absolutely drown the respective forums/mailing-lists with bug reports till either party fixes it ;)

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

More
14 years 1 day ago #4048 by David Monfort
Replied by David Monfort on topic Re:CFD codes for industrial CFD
I don't understand either why you're experiencing such failures. ParaView should be able to deal with such size of data... however, I did experience some unexpected crashes with ParaView 3.6.2 in my Ubuntu box (but for animations, not large data).

Concerning how Code_Saturne deals with EnSight, it hasn't changed for a long time. And I can't imagine that something is wrong here :whistle: (we daily post-process from 1 to several tens of millions of cells without any problem).

David<br /><br />Post edited by: David Monfort, at: 2010/03/27 23:00

• Alicia
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 11 months ago #4054 by Alicia
Just found what I was doing wrong : it was just a problem of visualization mode. When loading my file, the default mode was &quot;outline&quot; (previously when loading files the default mode was &quot;surface&quot;). So I was only able to see the outlines of my domain. Just changing the representation mode and all went ok...
Hope this dummy error will help some of you having the same kind of trouble !

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds