Calculix *FREQUENCY error

More
15 years 7 months ago #2236 by Ben
Calculix *FREQUENCY error was created by Ben
Hello All
I am doing some research for my thesis and am using Calculix to solve some of my models. I am having problems with the *FREQUENCY solver using SPOOLES under both CCX 1.8 from Convergent Solutions and CCX 1.7 on CAELinux. On some models I can solve in a desired frequency range on one in particular I can't. Below are my *STEP cards. The results from the static analysis are perfect and stored fine. The solver looks like it is solving for the modes and checking the memory usage I am sure it is because when I solve for a couple hundred modes it takes a couple hundred MB or more of memory. I looked around on the forum and web so see if someone else had this problem but I couldn't find anything. I can't load the model file since I haven't published my work yet. I have similar models that perform as expected though. I need to be able to solve in ranges because the system has to many modes to solve for at once because I just have enough ram or access to a 64bit machine. I tried running the CCX 1.8 executable from the calculix website on CAELinux but it didn't work. BASH is giving me an error. I can run the CCX 1.7 that came with CAELinux from BASH with no problem. Should I just compile version 1.8 myself? I tried using the SOLVE=ARPACK option but in both cases it tells me ARPACK is not linked. The docs say SPOOLES and ARPACK are used in the *FREQUENCY. CAELinux has the ARPACK libs but I am not sure how CCX on CAELinux was compiled. I have cross posted this on the Calculix Yahoo Group as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated. CAELinux and all the included packages are great, thanks for all the good work.
Thanks
Ben

*STEP
*STATIC, NLGEOM
*DLOAD
A,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
B,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
C,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
D,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
E,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
F,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
G,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
H,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
I,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
J,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
K,GRAV,9.810,0.,0.,-1.
*CLOAD
5,3,-19

*NODE FILE, NSET=Nall
U
*NODE PRINT, NSET=Nall
U
*EL FILE, ELSET=Eall
S
*EL PRINT, ELSET=Eall
S
*END STEP
*STEP,PERTURBATION
*FREQUENCY
*NODE FILE
U
*END STEP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2237 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:Calculix *FREQUENCY error
Hi,

as I am not using CCX frequently, I cannot answer directly. But without any detailed error message or an input file; it would be really diffcult to give you an answer...

So what I propose is that you try to compile CCX yourself and make sure that you link it to ARPACK. From my experience, ARPACK is a great eigensolver. Concerning the compilation, CCX is quite simple to compile; and if you start with CAELinux, you already have all the pre-requisite to compile it, so you just need to follow the procedure described in the CCX docs. You can also build a debug version to get more insight at what happens it crashes.

Good luck

Joël Cugnoni

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

More
15 years 7 months ago #2238 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Calculix *FREQUENCY error
Hello Joël
There is no error message CCX reports that the job is finished so it doesn't crash either. I checked all the files for an error message but didn't see one. It seems like the results are not being written to the .frd file from the ram. I will try to build a version with debug support today and see what happens.
Thanks
Ben

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds