Importing/Using IGES format models

• Dean Moore
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4091 by Dean Moore
Importing/Using IGES format models was created by Dean Moore
Hi,

I am new to CAELinux, and I am currently using a commercial CAD system: DesignCAD 3D v15. DesignCAD can output 3D models in IGES format. Soleme-mecha can import IGES formats for solid models. I would like to be able to draft up models in 3D using DesignCAD (because I am very familiar with it) and import them into the Geometry module so I can prep the models for meshing. Once meshed, I would like to perform FEA on them.

I am however having great difficulty in picking out the primitives necessary to perform the 'grouping' operation in preperation to meshing. The IGS format seems to display just fine--I can even shade a model of a simple "I"-beam imported from my commercial CAD system, but I cannot find points on any face, and I can't define a plane to be 'grouped.' Obviously I am missing something--I just can't seem to figure out what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tyson Moore<br /><br />Post edited by: Dean Moore, at: 2010/04/07 11:10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4095 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:Importing/Using IGES format models
Try to upload the file somewhere - I don't recognize the problems you're having with IGES - that said, I much prefer STEP over IGES.

What version of Salomé are you using? 5.1.3 selects points and surfaces just fine here.

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

• Dean Moore
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4097 by Dean Moore
Replied by Dean Moore on topic Re:Importing/Using IGES format models
Hello Claus,

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked my distribution and Salome is 4.1.4 version (it was the CAELinux2009 Live ISO distribution--perhaps that could be the problem. I will attach the simple I-Beam generated in my CAD system.

I think perhaps it is time for me to get an external Hard drive with a linux partition? :)<br /><br />Post edited by: Dean Moore, at: 2010/04/07 18:52
Attachments:

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds